Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cable management

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

what is the best cable management solution i just built a new custom computer around Christmas and the wiring is an absolute mess thanks to the layout and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

well, a lot of it depends on the case and parts used. Most of your upper end PSUs these days have the cables wrapped which helps some, modular power supplies help a LOT. But a lot of it is the case-some cases just dont allow for good cable management. The best way is to have the cables in such a way they don't block airflow, like shoved between the hard drive/optical drive bays and the back side of the case if theres room. If theres no way to maneaver the cables out of the way, I like to use twist ties to group them all together and out of the direct line of path of any intake fans, usually as close to the outer wall of the case as possible. Some cases, like the CM690 that Im using, have clips on the motherboard tray to run cables through, whats most important is that have solid airflow from front to back, and I try to keep the cables away from the high heat areas like the CPU and the video card. Here are some pictures of 2 computers using the CM690, one is mine the other I built for a friend. Both, due to the hardware have a lot of cables, though my friends a little less since I put a modular PSU in his, and mine does not. http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/t...nt=P1020930.jpg go ahead and breeze through them. Its not pretty, and I may have been able to do a better job, but both works well, operating temps are well within safe. and with mine, with all the cables you do see, there is an equal amount hidden in between the motherboard tray and the back of the case, so believe it or not that is a lot better then it looks.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

Well here is my setup like i said it is a mess.

Posted Image

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

that is a bit of a mess, however, while I cant get the best look, it appears theres some room above the optical drive bays and even a empty 5.25 in bay there. I would try shoving excess cabling into there, even if its not the entire cable, just getting part of it out of the way would help a lot. Try twist tying the cables that wont fit together and perhaps to the outside edge (open end of the case) of the 5.25 inch bays. Whats important is air flow and system temps, if the system is keeping cool enough, it does't have to look pretty (unless you have a see through case and want it to look pretty) it just has to work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

air flow at this point is not a problem ever since i added two fans it has gotten better, but I'm going to try and move some away from the ram cards.

sigcomp.png 

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

Well thanks for the suggestions, well I guess I'll be going back outside in the awesome weather today i live in NY and it is 80 degrees out right now.

sigcomp.png 

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

ooooh dont make me jealous lol.

picard5.jpg

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

ah you'll get the good weather soon :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 

#9 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

My advice: find some scissors.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

I somehow don't think cutting out the extra wire is a good idea. If you cut off the extra wires, you have the possibility of shorts if you don't tap em off properly, and you may need them in the future, and cutting and splicing to make them shorter can cause issues as well. not to mention voids the warranty. There is enough room in that case, in fact with nearly any case, that some creativity, and twist ties, will at the very least keep the cables out of the way of the parts that run the hottest for proper cooling and allow access to the areas that are most often modified.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users