Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BenjaminWard

BenjaminWard

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

A friend of mine has a computer that after powering up and going through the bios screen will simple go black. Windows won't load up. I tried to delete the partition on his harddrive by using the windows Cd, but it freezes on the Windows is starting... message. I've booted to the last known good configuration, which never works, safe mode won't work, but I can get to the screen of different boot modes. Any suggestions? Or is it time to take it to the shed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

did you delete any of the files in the windows folder?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

Sounds like you may have to reformat and do a fresh install of the op system.

Do you have a full installation disc of whichever Windows op system is on the computer and its key number?

#4 BenjaminWard

BenjaminWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

I personally didn't delete anything in response to that first question. My friend said he went to school, and when he came home, the computer was sitting dormant like I described it, with the screen blanking, and the computer not loading.

It's a dell, so I believe the key number isn't included, I do have the Windows CD, but like I said, when I put it in there, and tell the computer to boot from the CD rom, it will start, but freeze at the Windows is setting up... screen.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

Dell supplies the key number. They just don't provide a Windows installation cd and either provide their own restore cd or have it installed in the "cabs" they install on the computer instead.

What op system is on this computer?

#6 BenjaminWard

BenjaminWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:01 AM

windows xp non professional

#7 BenjaminWard

BenjaminWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

would a new harddrive solve the problem, or is there a cheaper alternative?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:01 PM

You haven't determined that the hard drive is malfunctioning as yet.

The Windows COA or key number may be on a sticker on the computer. If not, contact Dell and get the number from them.

Then use their restore disc.

#9 BenjaminWard

BenjaminWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

I don't understand how the Key would help me though. I've tried reinstalling windows, but when I place the disk in the CD Drive and boot from the Drive it freezes at the Windows is loading blue screen. I can't even reinstall windows, nor do I get the chance to enter a serial number. Someone suggested reformatting the drive, but I have no clue how to do that. I dont even see a way to access MS DOS. All I can access are the BIOS.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

What you can do once you get the key number (which will be necessary to input once you get to that point) is fdisk and reformat the drive on which to install Windows.

You will also need a boot disc which can be downloaded and placed on a floppy from numerous sites on the net, and the disc which came with the computer. (I know your friend didn't create the boot discs as instructed when he first got his machine, right? So you can download one from numerous places on the net and save it to a floppy disc.)

#11 BenjaminWard

BenjaminWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:34 PM

Alright, so I need to get him to obtain the Key Number for his Windows OS and obtain a boot disk from the internet for him? Any links?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

Bootdisk.com
http://www.bootdisk.com/

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

Here are some tutorials for installing XP as a fresh install:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

#14 sampson

sampson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:06 PM

i sure hope not...it's the same problem i'm having with my daughter's puter. can't get past the black screens, had os reloaded before but she crashed the thing again ( just think, she turns 16 in a little over a year [car!])and now gotta corrupted registry, that's what Microsoft told me.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

A corrupted registry can be the result of many things, among them continual installation and then deletion of programs, viruses transmitted over P2P (like Kazaa, bit-torrent, etc), carelessness about using anti-virus programs properly - (updated regularly and used constantly), infections as a result of no firewall, careless downloading practices or not reading EULAs and allowing deleterious downloads of malware, and on and on.

Not utilizing anti-malware programs (pleural - you need at least several and must keep them continually updated) can also allow serious infections to create havoc in your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users