Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several problems... ave.exe / google redirect / paypal redirect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jessethemark

jessethemark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hello. I've been having issues with some trojans and malware and whatnot on my computer. It started when my computer began running slowly, then I got Antivirus Soft. I used Malwarebytes to get rid of it, but it seems another version of it (which runs as "ave.exe") has popped up. Malwarebytes, a system restore flush, and CCleaner slim seems to have rid me of this problem, but ya never know with these things, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also, around the same time, I began noticing all my google links redirect themselves. I use FireFox and Chrome, and apparently this only effects Firefox. Sometimes, it will show the normal URL in green under the google description, but sometimes it shows a fake URL, the most common of which is "Ave99.com", which makes me wonder if they're related. Here's a screen shot of what it looks like when the URL is fake (searched for "I'm doing a google search"):
Posted Image

ALSO, I've been having a problem with logging into PayPal. When I went to log in, it redirected to a https which asked for my name, address, SSN, ATM PIN, etc. Obviously I didn't fill any of it out and left the page immediately. Here's what that looks like:
Posted Image

I've run Spybot, but that doesn't bring any problems up. I also use Avira, which has caught a few trojans named "Cosmu.mjj", "FakeRean.A.473" (also with other numbers at the end), "PCK.Katusha.J.431" (also with other numbers at the end), and I got a message that said it recognized a pattern of "EXP/Pidief.36193 exploit". I've quarantined them.

I know the one post says "one problem, one post" but they all popped up around the same time and I wonder if they're all related. If not, I'll gladly do multiple posts. I just didn't want to seem like a troll or annoying or anything like that.

I would like to clean my hard drive without wiping it clean, because I don't really have an extra hard drive to backup my files.

I run Windows XP, SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jessethemark

jessethemark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

UPDATE:
ave.exe returned, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the google redirect. I was using Firefox to search for something and without thinking, clicked a link for wikipedia. It redirected me to a page with a strange symbol on it. I didn't get to screen shot it, or see the whole url, but it started with "bengaltigerrose.com". I didn't get to see the whole thing or screen shot it because Firefox closed immediately, and the fake antivirus screens popped up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users