Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Browsers Infected By Malware or Virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Stewart.Brown

Stewart.Brown

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hello all my problem on the surface seems quite simple I have a home network with two desktop PCs and one laptop hooked up to it. One of the desktop PCs and the laptop run (connected by Wireless) on the Windows Vista OS and the other Desktop PC is on Windows XP (have some porgrams that I need that only run in XP and can't be replaced or updated) and connected by Wireless. Suddenly on March 31, 2010 around 1:00 PM in the afternoon while browsing the Internet on the XP Desktop PC I noticed that the Web Page I was attempting to visit (my home page http://sympatico.ca) loaded up as a blank page only and in the bottom right corner on the screen it said "Error on The Page."

I refreshed the page and then tried http://google.ca and the same thing happened. And so it went on for a good while. Frustrated went upstairs to check the desktop PC with Vista a recent PC and same problem every page required me to refresh or push F5. Concerned I then check the laptop and same thing. Thinking my Internet Explorer browser was corrupted by a virus or malware I then checked using Safari and Firefox browsers and the same thing happened.

I then disconnected all PCs from the network ran Virus Scans on all of them using Norton on the Vista machines and McAfee on the XP. I then ran Spyware Scans using Spybot on the XP machine and the Rogers AntiSpyware for the desktop Vista PC. Nothing serious turned up. I ran disk clean up and defragmented the laptop and older XP desktop. Tried browsers again same issues. Then I deleted all temporary Internet files of all machines, history, cookies, passwords, form data. Problem still persists. Tried running IE without add ons and still had same problem. Then I started looking through files and folders for suspicious stuff I downlaoded Hijack This and ran its scan and checked the log on the Internet but felt any files weren't necessairly wrong or may be infected but are vital :thumbsup: I also downloaded CounterSpy and while it found some Adware the only file it sited as high risk was the uninstall file for the old Diablo game from Blizzard (this file was not on all three PC the by the way the laptop didn't have it on at the time). I have been coming various forums and using google and haven't really come up with anything other than it's a virus or malware and a minor inconvenience but worrisome all the same as it could be quite malicious and request any help any one can offer. I do have a Hijack This log and can post it if it is required ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users