Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to build a touch screen vending machine.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Binford04

Binford04

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

I would like to apologize in advance for probably being in the wrong forum for my question but I was unable to find a better place to post. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.

What I am trying to do is turn an existing vending machine (Vendo brand) into one that can be operated using a touch screen. I have an elo touch lcd touchscreen that I'm looking to use. It's basically a screen you can hook up to your computer and use instead of having to use a mouse.

I figure this would be a real fun project that I could put on my backporch to dispense beer. (I'm in college)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

boy, i wish i had that much time on my hands. i would start at vendoco.com and try to get the manual for the machine. if it is already computerized you need to know the software it uses and how to access it.
also you could contact them and tell them what you are up to. their head office is in texas and they love beer. hell, throw a barbaque on the deck and they will probably send someone up from dallas to help you :thumbsup:

#3 Binford04

Binford04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the response caperdog. Unfortunately I invited them down for a bbq and they turned me down... :thumbsup:

I did look at the manual for the machine and it seems like another language to me. I don't think it's the way for me to go with this. Is there something you can buy which you could hook up to a computer and use it as a control system for the motors used to dispense the drinks? How hard would it be for me to essentially build my own vending machine? I would have to tear apart the Vendo I have now in order to put in the touch-screen and would probably mess something up. Also would this control system be able to control other accessories such as a temperature gauge or credit card reader? Can someone steer me in the right direction?

On a similar note, I am trying to desigen the user interface where users would access the machine to make purchases. I really love the "Redbox" movie dispensor interface. What program could I use to design this? It doesn't need to be super complicated but I would like it to look very similar to a Redbox.

Thanks for your help!

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

i am over my head but my junkyard mentality tells me that all the pieces are there to make the thing work mechanically, motor controls,etc. What you want to do is change the way these controls receive their signal to turn on/off. I do not know if this is a simple open or closed switch or if it is a required voltage that makes the thing operate. in my experience the more you take apart the more you learn. also ask at electrical engineering and computer science departments at your university. software can be as simple as if.... then....(visual basics, C++, java, linux).. as to the credit card reader and charging that's another ballgame of accessing credit card companies and banks on a secure network.. that costs money.
suggestion: .. bypass the coin slot, load the thing up and have a party. put the touch screen in your car to run a phone app, gps, and iTunes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users