Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Accessories - Call Center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legghorn

legghorn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

I manage an emergency operations center. We have about 50 PC's in a 50' x 50' room. The PC's are installed in cabinets with users sitting around a number of "pods". Workspace is at a premium and things get pretty chaotic and stressful. Lots of tangled cables and cables never seem to be quite long enough.

I would like to go to wireless keyboards and mice. Specifically the HP Elite keyboard and mice. 2.4 Ghz type

Besides the wireless accessories, there are several different WiFi systems (802.11b, g, n, a as well as dozens of blue tooth enabled phones/PDAs, and wireless comm devices, cell boosters, etc.) LOTS of radio noise!

Does anyone have any experience putting wireless accessories into this type of environment? I'll use labels to keep keyboards and PC's matched, but I'm curious if there's a technical limit to how many wireless accessories can share the same space.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

I would check with the manufacturer

Wireless devices run on auto-syncing channels. if you have to many devices operating on the same channel you will get cross talk interference.
From my understanding of blue tooth you can securely pair 2 devices and they pass a key to know who is talking to who.
That may be a better option to get blue tooth accessories instead of plain wireless just don't use the same key :thumbsup:.

#3 legghorn

legghorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:31 AM

Tried the manufacturer. The guy I talked to was clueless. He had no product knowledge at all. All he could do was read me what his computer said about key words and it wasn't in there. But thanks. The crosstalk is what I'm concerned about.

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

crosstalk-right
that is why i recommended using bluetooth devices instead of standard wireless as you get a true secure "pairing".
it is like encoding your message so only the one with the key can read it.
where wireless just picks a channel and starts talking and doesn't care who is listening in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users