Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does My DVD Rewriter Need Replacing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 and I have an Optiarc DVD+-R/RW/RAM 18x SATA BL OEM AD-7170S DVD Rewriter installed. It's about three years old and gets a huge amount of use. Recently I've found that there are more glitches than usual with it. If I burn a video to watch on my DVD player, there have been more skips and sound sync problems than there used to be and i occasionally get coasters, even though I only use Verbatim discs. I burn with either CDBurnerXP or Roxio Creator 2010 Pro. If I tell Roxio to verify the disc after burning, it always fails, although the discs usually seem to work OK. I get more success with CDBurnerXP, but I still quite often get problems. If I try to burn a DVD+R disc with Roxio it always fails and the disc is unusable afterwards, although CDBurnerXP seems to be able to Burn them OK. I was wondering if replacing the drive might help or is it more likely to be a software problem?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hi Joe.

Sadly optical drives were not made to last forever.

The lasers eventually start losing their burning strength and become weak over time.

You could try cleaning the laser's lens with a commercial lens cleaning cdrom, found in almost any retail store.

CD+R disks and DVD+R disks are not supported by all drives and if they are, this type of disk is the first to fail when the laser is either weak or dirty.

The price of DVD burners are so cheap these days, being that the newer Blue-Ray drives are pushing the price range down on DVD-RW and CD-RW drives.

You can find many good DVD-RW drives for under $50.00 now a days.

I would try cleaning your drives lens first though, as this might correct the problem.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 April 2010 - 09:39 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:17 AM

Thanks MrBruce1959, I think I'll try getting a new drive.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

I replaced the drive with a new "Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Bare" drive and now the problem is much worse. I've tried burning two discs with Roxio after which I got messages saying the burn didn't match the original files. They were video files which were encoded in exactly the same way, but when I tried the disc in my DVD player some files worked and others didn't.

The files that did work were slow to load and made a noise that the DVD player makes when it has a problem. I then tried burning with CDBurnerXP which failed completely. I got the following error:

"An error occured while burning the disc. Most likely the disc is not usuable. Usually, these errors occur if the media is not compatible to the drive or of poor quality.

(devNoSeekComplete) Could not write to the Disc (LBA: 1639168 Length: 32). No Seek Complete. - 0x030200"

I'm using 16x Verbatim DVD-R discs.

#5 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

i know this sounds stupid but did you delete your temp files and clear your history?
sometimes a build up of temp files from frequent cd burning will cause corruption.
also a defrag wouldn't hurt.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:46 AM

I replaced the drive with a new "Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Bare" drive and now the problem is much worse. I've tried burning two discs with Roxio after which I got messages saying the burn didn't match the original files. They were video files which were encoded in exactly the same way, but when I tried the disc in my DVD player some files worked and others didn't.

The files that did work were slow to load and made a noise that the DVD player makes when it has a problem. I then tried burning with CDBurnerXP which failed completely. I got the following error:

"An error occured while burning the disc. Most likely the disc is not usuable. Usually, these errors occur if the media is not compatible to the drive or of poor quality.

(devNoSeekComplete) Could not write to the Disc (LBA: 1639168 Length: 32). No Seek Complete. - 0x030200"

I'm using 16x Verbatim DVD-R discs.

I am not sure if you ever resolved your problem, as your last post is rather old now, but there are some media disks out there that are just a plain waste of money.

Also, if you are trying to copy a disk which has some type of encryption on it, programs like Roxio were not meant to copy disks which have Macrovision copy guard protection.

There is a program out there that is fully functional for a 30 day trial period, which will do such a proceedure, but being that I am part of the staff here at BC, I wish to abide by the rules of this forum and not post or suggest anything that might promote or violate any copy-write laws.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

...and, just maybe Roxio needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users