Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using the Windows Messenger service on a Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ants

ants

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:00 AM

Hello everyone.

I'm new here. I have been reccomended here by someone at the steampowered.com forums. Anyway, I need to be able to use the Window Messenger service on a network (Not Windows/MSN Messenger).

About my network
I have 3 computers in a wireless network. 2 desktops and 1 laptop. The desktops connect the D-Link DI-524 wireless router via cables and the laptop connects to he router via wireless Intel Centrino. Both desktops run Windows XP Pro SP2 with Norton Internet Security 2003 and the notebook runs Windows XP Home SP2 with Sygate Personal. The router has an inbuilt firewall.

My Issue
Basically, as I have mentioned, I need to be able to use the Windows Messenger service on my network to quickly send messages. Both desktops can send and receive messages from each other perfectly, however, the notebook can send messages to the desktops fine but it cannot receice any messages for some reason. It cannot even receive a message from itself. One thing I must state is that if I use 'net send * hello' (to send the message to all 3 computers) then the laptop will receive the message however when I try to send a message from a desktop to the laptop, then nothing happens and the message is not received. If im on the laptop and try to send a message to the laptop it still does not get received however, as I said, the laptop can send messages to the desktops. All 3 computers have the messenger service enabled and set to 'Automatic'. One thing I also must tell you is that if I restart the messenger service on the laptop then everything works fine and the laptop will happily receive a message. It will only work when I restart the messenger service even though it is set to 'Automatic'. Once I logout or restart the computer then it will no longer work. The messenger service is running but the laptop will not receive a message until it is manually restarted.

What I have tried to fix the issue
- Disconnecting from the wireless network to see if the router's firewall and/or internet connection was causing the issue.
- Turing of the laptop's firewall.
- Logging off and restarting the computer.

Nothing has worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.

Edited by ants, 18 September 2005 - 08:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:11 AM

I hope this will help... MicroSoft Knowledge Base
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:12 AM

First off the problem seems isolated to the one computer, not because of firewalls or other networking issues. A possible corruption in the windows component. Sometimes we overlook common problems because we are looking to deep into the situation. Start simple, control panel, add/remove programs,add/remove windows system components, and remove the messenger. Reboot and re-install the messenger. Can't hurt to try...

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users