Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP & Win7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:06 AM

Downloaded some video files from the internet with Real Player SP. Once there, converted them to WMP files and Win7 put them in my name's video folder. Only thing, all my files are in a separate partition under (My Docs) and once moved to those folders, got the following error while trying to view the file:

WMP cannot access the file. The file might be in us3e, you may not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct. Then it has 2 buttons (Close or Web Help). Error code is C00D11D2

If I move the file back to the original folder, it's fine. How do I move these files to the other partition and keep the file operable?

Have never had problems moving files around, thanks for any assistance. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Make sure your antivirus or firewall isn't blocking the file.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Make sure your antivirus or firewall isn't blocking the file.

Naw, can move them with no problem. And like I said, once moved back, it'll play in WMP again. So, not sure why I can't move it to My Docs folder in my 2nd partition.

Would love to find out why.

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

Any ideas folks?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

Check the permissions of the file after you have moved them.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

C00D11D2: Cannot access the file
Windows Media Player cannot access the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

* This file is currently in use. Close the file, and then try again.
* You do not have permission to access the server or other location where the file is stored. Verify that you have the appropriate access rights, and then try again.
* You do not have permission to access the proxy server. Verify that you have the appropriate access rights, and then try again.
* If you are trying to copy a track from a CD to your hard disk, you might not have permission to copy to the specified hard disk location. Verify that you have the appropriate access rights, and then try again. If the problem persists, try copying to another folder.

To change the folder where tracks are copied to

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the Copy Music tab.
3. Click the Change button.
4. Select another folder in which to store your digital media files, and then click OK.
–or–
Click Make New Folder, enter the name of the new folder, and then click OK.
info from this site
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11d2_0x00000000

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

It sounds as if you are playing the video from the WMP media library. The Media Library is a DB that "remembers" where the video is on the disk so it can play it when you click on it. If you move the file somewhere else, the DB can no longer locate the file. Within the Media Library, you can right-click on the video and select Properties. Within Properties it will show the folder it is looking for that video in. I'm not sure if there is an easier way to update that info but if you delete that video from the Media Library (only deletes it from the Library, not from the disk) then add it back in, the new location where you moved it to will be recorded and WMP will be able to play the file in the future. Personally, I don't use the Media Library, when I want to play some videos, I simply locate them in Windows Explorer and drag them over to WMP and drop them or you can select some videos and right-click and select Play.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#8 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

It sounds as if you are playing the video from the WMP media library. The Media Library is a DB that "remembers" where the video is on the disk so it can play it when you click on it. If you move the file somewhere else, the DB can no longer locate the file. Within the Media Library, you can right-click on the video and select Properties. Within Properties it will show the folder it is looking for that video in. I'm not sure if there is an easier way to update that info but if you delete that video from the Media Library (only deletes it from the Library, not from the disk) then add it back in, the new location where you moved it to will be recorded and WMP will be able to play the file in the future. Personally, I don't use the Media Library, when I want to play some videos, I simply locate them in Windows Explorer and drag them over to WMP and drop them or you can select some videos and right-click and select Play.

That's about it. I had some videos from an external HD and copied those to the secondary partition where I've got My Documents, and those play in WMP with no problem. It's just the ones I've moved to My Documents from what you mentioned (media library). I can move the file over, it won't play, then move it back and it plays. Never had something like this in WinXP. And they made Win7 easier to work with?

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

open wmp,go tools ,go advanced and click on restore media library and this will shutdown wmp and when you open it again it will search and add the files again or you can click on to restore files to library

Edited by caperjac, 05 April 2010 - 05:04 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

Just figured it out. Went to File, Manage Libraries and added that folder. Didn't even know that was there.

Thanks all! :huh: :huh:

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Happy computing, and thanks for the positive feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users