Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ankur16

ankur16

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hi,

Looks like my cpu is heaten up.Already done dusting.Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

a little more detail? system specs, current cooling, and temps? and what its doing? You can use something like CPUID to monitor all your temps.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hi ankur16.

I suggest we do a little bit more with your processor.

First off a little warning:

Warning: Anytime any work is done inside the computer, make sure that you are grounded to the computer before and at all times while you are working on the inside of the computers case.

Permanent damage can result from static electricity discharge or ESD's which is found on the human body.

Gain access to your processor, remove the heat sink by uncliping the clip which holds it down on the motherboards processor socket. Caution: Be sure to use a tool which will not slip and cause permanent damage to the motherboard.

Once the processor and heat sink assembly have been removed, make sure there is no dust or lint inside the fins of the heat sink.

Purchase a tube of thermal compound paste this can be found at Radio Shack or Staples stores, or purchased on line. (may also be called Heat sink compound )

Clean the bottom of the heat sink which once made contact with the processor, remove any old crusty dried up grease if there is any.

If there is only a rubber looking thermal pad, carefully remove it, these pads are generic and don't adequately transfer heat!

Remove any old thermal paste off of the processor, please do this with as little pressure as possible so as not to stress the motherboard, you can use isopropyl alcohol 70% to remove the old paste, alcohol evaporates very quickly so drying time is instant.

Use a lint free (clean) rag to do this procedure.

Once the processor and heat sink are cleaned, apply a bead of thermal compound to the top of the processor making sure to apply enough to cover the chip, but not make a mess all over the entire processor's body.

Reinstall the heat sink on the processor slot, again be careful not to slip and damage the motherboard with the tool used. Make sure the heat sink is fully seated on top of the processor and is secured properly.

And that is it, recheck your temps.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 April 2010 - 03:46 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 ankur16

ankur16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hello .

@ Bruce

I appreciate your input.No offense , but can we have a thorough diagnosis before going that extreme.Do you know any software that can diagnose my computer temperature, voltage etc other than Speedfan.

@ the_patriot09

CPUID shows the configuration and core voltage , not CPU temperature.

Anyways,
mobo-p4145 intel 845 chipset
intel celeron 2400MHZ
2 case fans

Edited by ankur16, 02 April 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

CPUID makes softwared called HWMonitor you can download and use here http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php post the temps you get back up here. However, if the temps are to high, doing what Mr. Bruce suggested would be my next step as well.

Edited by the_patriot09, 02 April 2010 - 12:30 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 alexagoin

alexagoin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Have you tried heat sink and heat sink paste to maintain your PC heats?

#7 jonnybravo9

jonnybravo9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
I would do as mr. bruce tells you tho, just make sure to follow the intrustion and be carefull.
Also, you should post your specs for a topic like this. It allows other users to give you more specific answers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users