Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Vista Crashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmcrooc

dmcrooc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:30 AM

I'm no techie and I'm not sure if the recent crashes of my Vista can be attributed to the recent changes I made in my laptop.

The other day I got bored and figured I wanted to make my computer boot up faster. It doesn't really take long for my PC to boot up, just wanted to see if it can go faster. I searched the net for possible ways and found that I can change the boot settings via msconfig. I chose 2 in the number of processors and checked the maximum memory box. And then I rebooted my laptop.

My new reboot time isn't that much faster than how it used to be (really no major difference), so I switched back to using 1 processor and unchecked the maximum memory box. Then I rebooted my laptop.

About an hour after using my laptop it suddenly crashed and it shut down. Tried to restart but it would again shut down as soon as I see my desktop. I noticed that the bottom part of my laptop was getting pretty hot too. The exhaust was working fine by the way. I let it cool down a little and then I was able to use it after cooling down.

Last night, my laptop crashed again and then again this morning. Now I'm not sure if it's because of twitching msconfig or if my laptop's overheating. I used to use my laptop a lot but it has never crashed because of overheating. The crashing only happened after I twitched msconfig (but remember I changed it back to its original settings).

Thinking that the crashes were caused by using one processor, I tried (again!) to change back to using 2 processors, but the drop down didn't have the option of using 2 processors. I dunno why the option of using 2 processors was gone. I checked "Detect HAL" and then rebooted. Now the option of using 2 processors is back so I clicked on that and unchecked Detect HAL. I then rebooted my laptop.

Now it's working fine and I elevated my laptop a little over the part where the exhaust is. I'm still not sure what's causing the crashes. I would greatly appreciate any help :huh:

BTW, I'm using Acer Extensa 4620Z with the following specs:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

The crashes could very well be directly related to the overheating. Always make sure you keep open space around the intake vents. They make cooling apparatus these days that helps circulate air around your laptop to help keep it from overheating.

Do you get BSOD's? If so...

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 02 April 2010 - 06:41 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 dmcrooc

dmcrooc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Here's what it says:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini040110-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/1/2010 3:43:56 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a
Parameter 1 : 0x82404a60
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0xc0000001
Parameter 4 : 0x0010054c
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+cdb8d
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6002.18160 (vistasp2_gdr.091208-0542)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\minidump\Mini040110-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
==================================================

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

The Kernel doesn't give away much in the BSOD dump, unfortunately.

Changing settings like this in msconfig are not recommended. Besides, changing those advanced options doesn't do much. You will not see any change in performance by changing the processor number, or the other things you see there. And you can only hope to screw something up if you start disabling stuff...

It is still very possible that the crashing is due to overheating. Is that the only BSOD you've had? Try keeping it cool, and possibly buy a cooling mat (they sell them at Wal-Mart for around $30). Keeping the laptop cool will help with performance, as well as total life of the hardware (even if it's not causing the crashes, which it could be).

If the laptop is not hot when you experience the crashing, let me know and we will look into other possibilities.

Download and install SpeedFan 4.40 to check your system's temps.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users