Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vga compatible driver

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Gooday all. I am trying to sort out one of the computers at home. Its an old xp installation and yesterday it started acting up funny. The scroll function has become jerky. Scrolling inside a page is fine, it only happens when scrolling down the full page. I have looked every where to find the driver it says I need through device manager. VGA Compatible. there a list of items with a yellow question mark and this is one of them. I started trying to fix this about 3 hrs ago and am still floundering. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
MoBo GA81845GV
Celeron® cpu 2.40ghz
2.42ghz
504mb RAM
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deanj20

deanj20

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

Well if it only started yesterday, I don't see how it could be a driver issue. But the yellow triangles w/ exclamation points infer that it may be.

Please list or submit a screen shot of all the items for which you need a new driver, and I'll see what I can find.

A few questions - "VGA-Compatible" doesn't mean much - what is your computer make and model? What caused this to happen? Have you installed/uninstalled any software? Hardware? Recently moved the computer? Have you scanned for viruses and malware w/ updated versions in safemode?

It's very unusual for several devices to suddenly be missing driver for no reason...

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:34 AM

If you are using the onboard video, the Gigabyte drivers are here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...D=1737&ver=

If a video card is fitted (probably not as there are only PCI slots, no AGP), we will need to find out what the card is.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

Sorry I haven't got back to this. Visitors + beer = halt to proceedings.

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

Gooday all. I need to clarify something here. The person using this computer is our Finnish exchange student. She is renowned for not telling me when something is wrong with the puter. So in fact this problem has been around for a while. I hope the screen shot works. Also, there is no vid card, it is onboard the mobo. I looked at the site Platypus suggested and downloaded the vid drivers for XP and pointed the driver up date to it but to no avail. Thanks again.

Attached Files

Edited by wavemaker, 06 April 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

downloaded the vid drivers for XP and pointed the driver up date to it but to no avail

The download is an .exe file - did you run it? Same applies for the other missing drivers, install the chipset drivers first for the SM Bus controller, then the Audio Drivers.

Edited by Platypus, 06 April 2010 - 02:32 AM.

#7 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Gooday platypus, This is what happens when I try to run it.

Attached Files

Edited by wavemaker, 07 April 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#8 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Sorry, wrong doc above.

I cant seem to get the pic to upload. The popup red screen says that the application has asked the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Contact the system administrator.

Edited by wavemaker, 07 April 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

I downloaded the 2006 release VGA drivers from the American link and they unzipped to a folder called WIN2K_XP. Your download may be corrupted - maybe try again from another server. Or the drivers can be obtained directly from Intel:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...33&lang=eng

It's best practice to install the Chipset Drivers before any other drivers.

#10 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

Many thanks Platypus, all good now.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

You're welcome.

#12 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Gooday all. I am reviving this topic, reluctanrly,  as I am having an issue loading the VGA compatible driver. I have followed all the previous steps that got me where I wanted to go but this time I cant get the VGA compatible driver to work. I have tried everything I can find to finish this  but to no avail. Any help appreciated

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well it's not actually the VGA Compatible driver you're wanting to install, that's just what Windows calls its own "always works" internal driver that it loads when there's no other driver present or something wrong with the installed drivers.

Do you still have the unzipped driver folder from last time, or have you downloaded the driver package again? Is the problem exactly the same as before, and what steps have you followed this time?

Edited by Platypus, 03 May 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#14 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

Gooday Platypus. Firstly, this is exactly the same machine as last time, I installed XP from the same disc and when the installation finished I had exactly the same issues re Ethernet driver, resolution,sound etc. I went back to your post and I believe that I followed your advice to the letter. As can be seen from the last time it worked a treat, so I cant figure what is different. As the sound is the only issue, ethernet and resolution work fine, I have tried just installing the sound driver again in lots of different ways. I have downloaded it direct from the website to the computer, I have downloaded to this computer, put it on a usb and tried that way. The machine has a sound card in it too. I tried to download the driver for it from the sound blaster site but cant get that to work either. Also, I am unable to instal Java. I will go over to the other computer and post a speccy. I have removed the SB card.

#15 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Here it is. I just tried Java again and I got a screen advising windows updater was unavailable. I have read up on this and thought I had fixed the problem. Could end up being a clean install and start again.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QGpLr6WhZmtpWdGclkqTUkm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users