Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Office and Java

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if I need Java to run the applications in Open Office that are like Micorsoft Word and Excel?

OpenOffice downloads with JRE but gives you the abiltiy to not download the JRE part, However, it does say that JRE is needed for some aspects of the Open Office but I could not see which ones.

I only want to use the two parts I mentioned and if I do not need Java for those two, then I do not want to install it, but if it is needed, then I guess I will have to, even though I really do not want it.

Thought I would ask here before installing it as I don't want to install something I don't want if I do not need it yet I don't want to not install something that I might need for it to work.

Anybody know?

Thank you everyone for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

You should have Java installed on your computer anyway. There are many programs that use it. It's probably already there and you just don't know it.

Download and install the latest offline version of Java here.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:50 AM

Thank you for replying KeyboardNinja.

I do not have Java on system, I have checked for it thoroughly.

Unless this Open Office needs it to run the two applications that I want to use, I have never ran into a situation that it was needed to do anything that I have wanted to do that I could not find a way to do without it. In fact, the only thing I have ever found it was needed for that I kind of wanted to do, was online virus scans that I really have not needed.

I really do prefer to keep it off my system (yes, I know I am wierd) and am only willing to put it on for a short time only if it is in fact necessary to be able to use the Open Office versions of Excel and Word. The only reason I am even willing to put it on for those applications is it will help me improve my job skills to hopefully get a better job. If I do have to put it on for those programs, once I have learned Excel and refreshed myself on Word, it is coming off, as is Word, which I consider to be a worthless program. In my experience, WordPerfect can outrun Word in every respect.

If I do need it for those two applications, I can just download the version of OpenOffice that has JRE included in it but I do apprecaiate you posting a link for me to get it by itself and I appreciate you responding to my post, thank you. :thumbsup:

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why you prefer to not have Java, but whatever. It is not mandatory for all PC users, but I have to have it for the web-based apps I run all the time (Blackboard being the main one).

Yes, if OpenOffice comes with a JRE that is required for using its programs, then that is all you need. Just be sure it is the latest version (version 6 update 19 currently). Out of date Java is a security risk (which is why I assume you prefer to not have it).

Enjoy your OpenOffice, and good luck job-hunting. :flowers:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Another option is to have Java installed but only enabled on as needed basis. Instead of installing and uninstalling every time.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

Thank you, both of you. :thumbsup:

Edited by Stang777, 05 April 2010 - 12:49 AM.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

You're welcome! :thumbsup:

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

"Java is required for complete OpenOffice.org functionality. Java is mainly required for the HSQLDB database engine (used by our database product Base) and to make use of accessibility and assistive technologies. Furthermore some wizards rely on Java technology. If you do not require these features, then you do not need to have Java installed for running OpenOffice.org.

So what does this imply for me? Base (the database component) relies completely on Java technologies to run, but other programs (like Writer, Calc and Impress) only need Java for special functionality."

http://download.openoffice.org/common/java.html
(Emphasis mine)

From this, I think it can be inferred that neither the spreadsheet nor the word processor requires Java except for very advanced uses or those with special needs.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Thank you very much jgweed, that is exactly what I needed to know :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users