Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection- Need Help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:55 PM

My brother in law's laptop recently became infected with malware and brought it to me in hope for a fix. I ran SuperAntiSpyware and removed 907 infected items and proceeded to run Malwarebytes AntiMalware and removed another 32 items. The system at first seemed ok and then constantly popping up "Open with.." box prompts when attempting to run any program. Also it added a "start" option to the right click menu. He is running Windows Vista 32-bit. Reformatting the hard drive has been placed at either last resort-no option possibility. Right now the laptop seems better but I'm concerned of possible rootkits or infections deep in the registry keys. Has anyone seen this type of infection before where the system seems fine-goes to "crap mode"- and suddenly seems fine again? I'm expecting another occurence of "crap mode" Any suggestions on what I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users