Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install/uninstall .net framework…

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ljoel

Ljoel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

Hello bleeping computer community! Let me give you a bit of background to see if it helps:

I was going to install a program that needed Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, so I downloaded it but it would not install (It said it was not compatible with my current version). I have version 3.5 and I had v.1.1 installed as well. Either way I downloaded the program but it just crashed on startup. Looking for answers it said that if it was giving problems starting up to uninstall .NET Framework 1.1, and this is where my problem begins...

As I was uninstalling it, it froze and I had to manually stop the uninstall. Now the computer is stuck thinking that it's still uninstalling .NET and when I try to install or uninstall anything it doesn't let me, saying that I have to finish with .NET, but I can’t do that since now all of the .NET installs just crash when I run them. And now I’M stuck, what do I do?

I have tried restarting the computer various times to no avail. I also cannot access the “Change or remove programs” window directly since its still “uninstalling” .NET (but I can trough Glary Utilities).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and God Bless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hello, Ljoel. Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

We must first clean up your .NET framework installation. Download and run this file. It will remove the .NET framework from your computer so that we can reinstall it later (and solve the non-installing issue). My sister's laptop did the same, as well as our home desktop (failed install). But don't worry, it is very easy to fix.

After running this cleanup tool, it will ask you to reboot. Please do so.

Next, download and install this file. This will reinstall the .NET framework onto your computer.

After another reboot, download and install this file. This will update the .NET framework to what it should be.

Does this solve your problem?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Ljoel

Ljoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

Your solution worked swiftly and without mercy :thumbsup: , but what a scare…

After I finished with the steps I decided to restart the computer again, and after entering my password… IT WOULDN’T LOAD!!! It stayed completely black with only the mouse pointer as my only source of entertainment. I even tried safe mode and it didn’t work. Thank GOD that eventually it logged in (maybe it started to feel pity for me after staring at the black screen for so long). I thought I was going to DIE…. but it worked! My computer is back to normal and I can sleep easy. (This is the LAST time I take advice from a Ninja :flowers: )

But seriously, thank you keyboardNinja who lurks in the shadows of cyberspace, and thank you bleepingcomputer, I feel the love. God Bless.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

The login problem was probably just a fluke...occasionally it happens...but most of the time, if you're patient enough, it will just load on its own eventually. If not, another reboot should take care of it.

You're welcome. Glad to hear your problems are resolved. :flowers:

God Bless.

Right back at ya! :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users