Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reformat. Computer won't boot from CD

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Helping a friend with an older Dell computer. It will boot into Windows but there are all kinds of errors popping up. You can't even go to help. If you click on a program, a screen pops up asking what program to associate it with.

I thought it best to reformat and reinstall Windows XP. I thought it would be as simple as putting in the Windows XP CD and then hitting F2 to go into BIOS. Once there I have always just changed the boot order to boot from the CD/DVD Drive.

The CD is recognized in BIOS and I did set the boot order to boot from the CD. The problem is that it just goes on into Windows XP. If I use the Floppy Disk as the primary boot order it will stop but I don't have a boot disk. I am thinking that if I could get a copy of the Windows 98 Start Up Disk I would be able to start and the have the generic CD drivers installed. Then I could use the Windows XP CD to reformat and install Windows.

Does anyone know where I could download a free copy of the Windows 98 Start Up Disk. It should be a big help. I've looked but haven't had any success.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Unfortunately XP is based on NTFS that WIN 98 does not recognise, I would try installing an actual CDROM in the Machine from a known good working Machine, try that and Post back.

If you want to try a WIN98 Start up Disk, or even a XP Start Up Disk, you can get one from here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

I believe the problem is that Win 98 era machines didn't support booting from the CD. Here is a link to the MS site that will allow you to download the floppies needed for a floppy install of XP. MS XP floppy install You will still need the XP CD to complete the installation.

Edited by strolln, 01 April 2010 - 11:20 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

I would just about swear that when I formatted and installed Win98se on my old system that I did not have to use a floppy at all, just did it all from the CD, but that was on a system that was formatted to FAT32

Wait a minute, I am confused, where is Windows 98 coming from? The post says that you are trying to install XP so why are you trying to get a Win98 startup disk instead of WinXp?

Edited by Stang777, 01 April 2010 - 11:36 PM.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

I would just about swear that when I formatted and installed Win98se on my old system that I did not have to use a floppy at all, just did it all from the CD, but that was on a system that was formatted to FAT32

Wait a minute, I am confused, where is Windows 98 coming from? The post says that you are trying to install XP so why are you trying to get a Win98 startup disk instead of WinXp?

Sorry, Stang777, if you or any other BC Member have one of these mythical Versions of WIN98SE that could boot from a CD, I suggest you list them on Ebay, after checking out that they really work. They are worth a Fortune, because noone has ever saw one. WIN98SE booted from a Floppy Drive, DOS, and does not recognise NTFS used by XP, and NTFS can not be reversed to Fat32, without heaps of Problems.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:24 AM

I don't know about that, I could be wrong but I do not remember having to use a floppy boot disk since Win95. However, since my memory has been known to be faulty at times, I just did a quick search and came across this post from the Forum Administrator of MajorGeeks.com who just happens to be a Microsoft MVP. Even though the post is about doing a repair install, it does say to boot from the Win98SE CD, which I bolded, it says nothing about using a floppy, and I also remember doing what is mentioned next about selecting Start PC with CD ROM Support...

Halo
MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Join Date: Jan 2002
Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,194 Posts

Re: Windows 98 se

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Can you attach this HD to another PC? then access to see if you can recover the data, this way you could also use data recovery software ( Recuva is one )

Or a dirty/repair install can be done on Win98 ( BUT no repair install can guarentee that your data will be safe or saved )

Boot from Win98SE CD ( needs to be full CD not an upgrade one )
Select Start PC with CD ROM Support
Change to Optical Drive A:\>D: [Enter] where D: is optical drive ( maybe another drive like E: if multiples are installed )
Change to Win98 directory (win9x for ME) D:\>CD\WIN98 [Enter]
Run Setup D:\WIN98>setup [Enter]

Do not run let the CD Automatic go into install for Win98, you need to navigate to the directory and the setup file on the CD manually as above.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1104467

Anyway, that is really not what this thread is about and I am afraid I am hijacking it, which I did not mean to do, by talking about booting from the Win98se CD, so I am backing out of the convo about it.

I apologze for going on about booting from the Win98se disk when that really is not what this thread is about, I just feel I have to respond to the above post. I am sorry about that everyone.

Btw, I hope it is ok that I pasted the post from MajorGeeks here, if it is not, my apologies and please just delete my post.

Edited by Stang777, 02 April 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

Yet another example of the mythical CD Boot of WIN98SE. Noone one has seen one, to my knowledge.

I also apologise for taking this off Topic, but it was called for. WIN98SE boots from a DOS Start up Disk. XP can not recognise DOS, neither can WIN98SE recognise NFTS, used by XP.

Only one to Blame is Mr. Gates. They are all Windows related.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 02 April 2010 - 04:20 AM.

What is a Dog?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

I note that you can set an option in the BIOS for the CD to be the first boot device. That indicates the system should be able to boot from the XP CD.

Did the CD drive work normally under Windows? If it did then that suggests the XP CD may have a fault preventing it from booting - try carefully cleaning the disc. If it is scratched, that could cause the problem. If the CD drive was not reading CDs correctly in Windows, then to re-install, the drive should be substituted - either temporarily with a borrowed drive or replaced with a new unit.

If it seems the drive should work but is being prevented from booting for some reason, you could try using the XP floppy disk install set to boot into the pre-install environment:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

What Service Pack level is the XP CD? Remember that XP now needs to be at SP2 level to receive on-line updates. It's best to install SP3 (at least SP1 is required for that) since later in the year SP3 will be required for systems to continue to be updated online.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

With all due resepts, Platypus? I did suguest that JazzMahn try to fix this within our Boundries, which are unlimited as long as it Helps.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Yet another example of the mythical CD Boot of WIN98SE. No one one has seen one, to my knowledge.

I have seen and done it before.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Me too, thousands of times
All Windows 98SE cds are bootable. Every one I have does.

But in this case it is a moot point because we are dealing with XP

I agree with Platypus - try cleaning the cd.
Cleaning kits and scratch repair kits are cheap
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

Sorry, Stang777, if you or any other BC Member have one of these mythical Versions of WIN98SE that could boot from a CD, I suggest you list them on Ebay, after checking out that they really work. They are worth a Fortune, because noone has ever saw one. WIN98SE booted from a Floppy Drive, DOS, and does not recognise NTFS used by XP, and NTFS can not be reversed to Fat32, without heaps of Problems.

Ray.

Windows 98SE OEM Versions booted from the CD, Windows 98SE Retail did not and such that they came with a boot floppy.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

With all due resepts, Platypus? I did suguest that JazzMahn try to fix this within our Boundries, which are unlimited as long as it Helps.

Ray.

Sorry Ray, I don't understand what you're saying to me. I've posted some potential courses of action JazzMahn could follow - as far as I can tell I haven't commented on anything you've said except to agree with trying a drive substitution...

Edited by Platypus, 02 April 2010 - 05:02 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/inst...dexfullpage.htm
I am pretty sure I never bought a retail w98 disk in my life so it could be the truth... . I have probably a dozen that boot to setup and are probably generic oem 98SE.

I have the iso on the backup server so I just burn one when I need it, which is not very often since I use linux to make fat32 partitions.

Some computers and cdrom drive in the win95-98 era were not atapi capable of booting from cdrom so I had a scsi cdrom to use on sparcs and NeXt step boxes and a 2940 to use on pc's that were not atapi capable. W95 needed a boot floppy to load the cdrom drivers for your particular cdrom.

#15 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

To address the OP's issue, I have stacks of old Dells. Tell us the service tag number and we can tell you what to do to reinstall. Some dells had a bios so limited it was nearly useless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users