Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec AntiVirus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jmrich56

jmrich56

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

Hello all. I am new to this forum but after checking some of the forums it appears I have found a gold mine. I have a Dell P.C. and am using Symantec AntiVirus version 10.1.394.0 last updated 3/26/10 - revision 19. PC is slow now - reviewed scan histories and see that startup scan that began on 3/31 @ 5:00 am is still running but 0 files scanned. Tried to delete this scan by following "Help" guidelines - right click Startup Scan in left side panel - the "delete" is light shaded - not active. Could my auto-protect cause the delete icon to be disabled or maybe scan cannot be deleted until finished? I checked out Symantec website but it is not user friendly. I have also reviewed the malware forum and have all the info requested by moderators if that info will help. I believe it is a Symantec issue, not a virus or malware - I do not have any viruses or other issues showing in "Quarantine" or "Repaired". Any suggestions will be welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Restart the computer?

#3 jmrich56

jmrich56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

that was the 1st. and 2nd. moves. Also tried different way to exit Symantec. I will try accessing Symantec in safe mode tonight.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

Try reinstalling the program

#5 alex.c

alex.c

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

That is a corporate edition first released years ago, isn't it?

Using it is asking for trouble, in my opinion.

#6 jmrich56

jmrich56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

I inherited this program with the desktop when my office computer was upgraded. The 10.1 version is 2005 but the 10 desktops at work have had few issues with virus / bug / malware in those 5 yrs. I can only think of 3. Perhaps it's our server firewall that should get the credit, but my thought is if it isn't broke don't fix it. That said, I have reviewed many of the responses at the top of this forum and appears that I could be using other programs just as effective and perhaps easier to manage. I need to devote some research time to this - maybe it's time for a switch.

#7 jmrich56

jmrich56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

oops

Edited by jmrich56, 04 April 2010 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users