Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet keeps disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djrikstar

djrikstar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hi ppl i recently sold a win xp laptop to a friend that i got as broken and i repaired.
I reformated and then i downloaded the drivers from hp's website.
Then i sold it but my friend keeps ringing me saying the wireless adapter
keeps disconnecting and works when it wants too. I've got him to update the
driver via device man but no updates so i got him to unistall wireless driver and
restart which it works for a while then disconnects. I dont think its the wireless adapter
but im collecting it 2day 2 troubleshoot so i might put it on my network and seeif it lasts on mine.

Im going to swapthe wireless adapter an see whether it carrys on disconnecting it self from his network.
Also every other wireless device is fine. But he has a netgear router i think that could be the problem. Can
anyone back that up i heard they can be unfriendly with some wireless laptops.

Please could someone help me out on this?? Whether its a known issue with netgear routers??
Also could someone give me a good trouble shooting process before i swap out the wireless card..
Many thanks Rikki

Edited by elise025, 02 April 2010 - 04:26 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

Is it a USB Dongle?

#3 djrikstar

djrikstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hi no its a built in card. I might get him to try a wireless usb dongle. And see how he goes with that and if that starts disconnecting its got to be his dsl netgear router. Thanks for reply

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hi djrikstar.

I am going to see if I can assist you in resolving your problem.

The first thing that is over looked with wireless issues, is the fact that it is wireless.

This means that the network communications is done through a radio frequency carrier also refereed to as RF that is transmitted across the air waves.

The router does two things at once and so does the wireless connected computer, it transmits a signal at the same time it receives one.

Problems related to dropped connections can be associated with the following issues and solutions.

No.1 The channel the router is transmitting and receiving on is already in use by another router close by. Solution: Enter the routers setup utility and change the channel to a vacant one or one that has the weakest near by signal from another router. (This can be determined by scanning with the wireless device for available networks)

No.2 The signal between the router and wireless computer is being interfered with by a near by cordless telephone that operates on the same frequencies as the routers wireless frequencies. Solution: Change the channel the router is broadcasting on to another channel. Test by using the suspected cordless phone to see if the problem is resolved, this could also be a neighbors cordless phone causing the problem.

No. 3 Make sure that under the wireless cards properties that allow windows to power off this device to save power is not checked off. You can find this by going to windows Device manager and right clicking the network adapter and choosing properties, looking for Power Management and unchecked that feature.

Try what I suggested above and let us know if this resolved the problem.

Best regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 April 2010 - 12:16 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 djrikstar

djrikstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

Mr bruce you are a star. It did not even cross my mind about the channels but i think your right im going to go round to his house and perform all them steps. When its on my router its fine. But i think its to do with the channels like you said. Thx mr bruce what a star. I will reply back within the next 2 days and tell you whether it worked. I totally forgot about channels. Lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users