Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recyled.exe Infection with Autorun.inf - help?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Phenyx

Phenyx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hi everyone - I hope someone here can help me, since I'm out of my league.

I took my computer (IBM Thinkpad laptop running Windows XP) into a repair shop because the external hard drive and flash drive were coming up as folders that could not be opened instead of as themselves. They had it for two and a half weeks, and in the end all they could do was install Autorun Eater on it, which at least is allowing it to (mostly) act normally.

Earlier today I installed and ran Avast. It found malware - Win32:malware I belive - in a system information file and I think a dll file. I looked online and the information I found made me try turning off system restore, restarting the computer and turning it back on. I think I may have changed something with Avast though, as I got some kind of message that I did not catch and it took awhile to start up.

I tried opening the external hard drive which is apparently infected, and Avast stated that it stopped the Recycld.exe from working and I had to start Autorun eater to open the external, as it claimed it removed the autorun.inf but I'm pretty sure it or the one that the computer repair man modified is still there. I am currently scanning it with Avast but do not think I will find anything. If I have left anything out please let me know and I will add it.

I did plug my mp3 player into it to see if it worked, but apparently I need to reinstall the driver for it. How likely is it that whatever this is got onto my mp3 player?

Is there any way I can get the Recycld.exe off my computer? The Autorun.inf as well? They keep coming back. I've been trying, and others have been trying, for almost a month now. Also, what is it likely to have infected? Can I save anything?

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users