Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd user perimssions problem (XPe)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Longtime computer geek, new to this forum. I'm crossing my fingers that you can help me.

Yes, I know this is *not* an XPe forum, but the build I have is 99% that of XP Pro, so I thought I'd give it a whirl...

My company has asked me to take an existing XPe image and install some new software on it. We use these images for a kiosk like product in hospitals.

Anyway, I have run into an odd thing: Someone locked this image down SO DARNED FAR that I'm having a heck of a time adding or changing things.

To be specific: The system is workgroup based (not domain), has two users: an administrative user (whom I'll refer to as ADMIN) and a "Application" user (whom I'll call APP for the rest of this post). My APP user is normally a member of the "users" and "Network Configuration Operators" - but for my work I made it a member of "Administrators", thinking that would allow me to do my work. Boy, was I wrong.

Many things appear to be disabled for this APP user, even as a member of the "Administrators" group - no run menu, no ability to explore folders, change icons, add new menu items to START....

Yes, I've run GPEDIT, and have double checked that I have permission to do these things - I've even run GP Edit while logged on as my "Application" user (But I had to cheat - under ADMIN, I installed TWEAKUI, then I put a shortcut to the program on the APP desktop - - that was the *only way* I could figure out to get GPEDIT to run under the APP user). So even logged on as APP, GPEdit shows that I should have a run menu (Remove Run menu from Start menu is NOT configured) -

Note that I can do *everything* I need to do if I'm logged in as ADMIN - including launching the application... it's just that when I log off and log in as APP, I'm hosed. This suggests to me that this is *not* an XPe specfic issue - that I'm just missing something.

Of course, the fellow who locked this image down is long gone, off to greener pastures... And I'm stuck. I need to open this user up far enough to add a menu item to my start menu, change an icon & other basic housekeeping... and THEN lock it back down so users can't futz with my system.

Any help would be welcome. I mean *any* help.

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

are they part of the administrators group?

#3 BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

are they part of the administrators group?

As I stated in my post, yes - the user *is* a member of the administrator's group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users