Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Security 2010 virus keeps coming back!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette S

Lynette S

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hello! My computer got infected with XP Security 2010. Ran Malwarebytes and it seemed to fix it for a few days. Got the XP Security 2010 virus again. Ran Malwarebytes again and it seemed to clear up. Now AVG Resident Shield shows "Virus identified Win32/Patched.CG C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys. Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed). Can anyone help me with this? Also, my computer won't let me access the Microsoft Windows Update site. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Budapest, 01 April 2010 - 05:13 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Otaku1031

Otaku1031

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

I tried using Malwarebytes to remove the Vista Security virus to no avail. I used Hitman Pro 3.5 (free 30 day trial) and that cleared the problem. Run the update after installing, and be sure to uncheck the option to run a check on your computer when you start up otherwise you'll get stuck in a full ChkDsk run every time you boot up. The file it will find will be something like av.exe or ave.exe. Delete that file.
You may need to install Hitman Pro from a thumb drive if you can't get online due to the virus.

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

The process in task manager is ave.exe

Use SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot Search & Destroy, Update both, run Spybot first, immunize after updated are downloaded, then run scan. Next Run SuperAntiSpyware. Afterwards run MBAM.

That is the process i used and the problem was fixed.

Also you should get an antivirus if you dont have one running. IMO Avast Antivirus free version(60 day trial) is really good.

Spybot Search & Destroy has a Tea Timer process you can run to actively protect system changes, that is also a good thing if you have the Ram for it and dont mind a pop up any time something is changed on your computer.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,446 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

@ Otaku1031 and s1lents0ul,

Your issues are different from Lynette's. Please note that every mix of malware is unique as is every computer set up. Therefore, what works to resolve one computer's infection issues may not resolve another computer's. Indeed, in many cases, it may even cause more problems to follow the malware removal instructions posted for one computer on another system.

Hello Lynette S,

You have a serious infection issue that requires specialized tools to resolve. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Otaku1031

Otaku1031

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

@ Otaku1031 and s1lents0ul,

Your issues are different from Lynette's. Please note that every mix of malware is unique as is every computer set up. Therefore, what works to resolve one computer's infection issues may not resolve another computer's. Indeed, in many cases, it may even cause more problems to follow the malware removal instructions posted for one computer on another system.

Orange Blossom,
You are correct. I was just posting what worked for me on my Vista machine. I'm pretty tech savvy (circuit design and programming) but for these types of issues I would always follow the mods advice.
And this is a forum, is it not?

Edited by Otaku1031, 02 April 2010 - 12:23 AM.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

i was only doing the same, and under the same understanding of this being a forum and all. Once a mod steps in i know its no longer needed for random 2 cents
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hello Lynette S,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/306781/xp-security-2010-keeps-coming-back/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users