Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Problems-No System Information+More

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zse45tgb

zse45tgb

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Greetings,
I just arrived from the Am I infected? What do I do? forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/295063/antivirus-pro-2010/, and the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/304418/rootrepeal-and-runscanner-refuse-to-open/, and I have to say I am extremely impressed by the patient help I received there from boopme and Ried, respectively. :thumbsup: :flowers: Now that We've cleaned out all of the baddies, and I've gotten a fresh anti virus installed, I would like to attempt to address my issues with Windows XP Pro.

I suppose I should start at the beginning? When I boot the computer, the following notice appears:

Posted Image

After I click Resolve Later, Windows loads my desktop and I get the following:

Posted Image

If I click on the Next button it offers the option of installing, which I have not done, I just click Cancel.

As well as:

Posted Image

Ad of course in my Taskbar, right next to my clock is the WGA icon. If I right click on the icon and click on Validation Failure Details I am taken to: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/nonGenuine.aspx?displaylang=en&Error=13&PartnerID=103&sGuid=6b69e185-84d0-4097-b798-2551636e4519 and get this message:

Posted Image

I realize that all of this is probably nothing new to the Moderators and the Support Team, but I am trying to be as thorough as possible because I don't like to be spoon fed little bits of information when I'm trying to accomplish a task.

Let me continue by saying that this is not MY computer, it belongs to my roommates who have neither the time nor the patience to go through this exercise.
A little (perhaps necessary) info on them; they are a married couple who have raised two daughters who are now in their early twenties, and all the above mentioned parties have had active access to this computer. Here's the information on the computer system; It is an HP Compaq dc 5000 MT, and it has what appears to be an official Microsoft sticker on the top of the case. I say 'appears' because the sticker does have the hologram, as well as the security band running through it and the rest of the sticker vertically. It says "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU, and under that it simply says HP. There is quite a bit more on the sticker, including the product key, which by the way is NOT the product key listed in the registry. I have NOT tried to change this registry value.

If I right click on My Computer and click on Properties, I get the following:

Posted Image

If I click on Support, I get the following:

Posted Image

This is more than a little disturbing for several reasons, as you can imagine.

Now for the rest of the story.
I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to just change the Product Key to the one on the COA sticker on the computer case, but should I try? On the Microsoft site to change your Product Key: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/...5a-8f466c570fbc they do collect quite a bit of information about your system, and if changing to the Product Key on the COA doesn't work, they might feel that I am being less than honest if I then try my other option.
My other option:
I do have an official XP Pro disk and Product Key from an old computer of mine that died Can I use that disk/Product Key to repair and validate the Windows on this computer? There is important information on this computer and very little room to have another copy of Windows installed, and at this time $149 is just not an option.
Which brings me to my last option:
Live with things the way they are. (Definitely not my favorite)
Am I SOL, or is there hope?
I apologize for being so long winded, your help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First...a little info on Warezdemon, http://www.h33t.com/details.php?id=18f1f5f...85b54b6954241ca AND a Google look, http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp...a6b5a4f84435186

Such being the case, I definitely believe that Microsoft has this one nailed properly.

I suspect that the installed software...was also the cause of your previous malware situations...it's a perfect scenario for people who want to take advantage of the persons who think "free" means "free", since they can't complain that the illegal product contained malware. Just a suspicion on my part, I have no way of proving such.

FWIW: The product key in the registry...will never actually reflect the correct key, I believe that the registry is encrypted data. You can use any number of tools to see the actual key used for that system...try SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/. Among the data reflected under Licenses will be the key used. I fully expect that key has been flagged by Microsoft as invalid.

I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to just change the Product Key to the one on the COA sticker on the computer case, but should I try?

Not at all, based on a review of the Web data previously provided. I would not even think about such a thing.

That particular version of Windows which is installed...is an illegal version...has nothing to do with the key per se so it's not just a matter of putting a valid key with an illegal install of XP. The fact that the version doesn't even display appropriate info when looking at My Computer/Properties...well, that's almost like advertising, IMO. I'm sure it made it pretty easy for MS to flag that system :flowers:.

I guess that I don't see any XP issues here. You have a system with an illegal version of XP on it that MS has flagged...the rest is up to you and Microsoft.

Louis

#3 zse45tgb

zse45tgb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:47 AM

Hi hamluis,
That's pretty much what I thought too. I don't know if one of my roommates or their daughters 'friends' convinced them they were doing them a favor or what. It appears the damage is done and is likely to stay that way, at least until I can get back to work.

Thank You for your time,

Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users