Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't boot up using windows vista

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

While trying to install an older version of the KM Player that didn't seem to work (because I didn't like how the newest update turned out), I rebooted my Acer computer and it wouldn't boot back up and I got the error message posted below. I first unplugged the computer and plugged it back in but that didn't do anything. I tried downloading the neosmart recovery disc on another computer but my computer didn't recognize it when I put it in my DVD drive (on a verbatim DVD-R). (The DVD drive did recognize my old Windows ME reinstallation disc so the DVD drive works OK. Maybe I need to try putting it on a CD-RW?)

I have an Acer Aspire M1641 desktop computer with Windows Vista and I have kept updating all the windows updates and I'm pretty sure I have the SP2 update installed. It's a 32 bit.
F8 key doesn't do anything.

Here is the message I get when I try to start from the hard drive:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. TO fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
(Unfortunately I didn't get an installation disc as Vista was pre-installed and the Circuit City I got it from went out of business and closed down. The computer is about 2 years old and worked great until now.)

2. Choose your language settings and then click next

3. Click "repair your computer".

File: \boot\bcd
info: an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

If you do not have this disc (I DON'T), contact your system administrater or computer manufacturer for assistance.

The ESC to F12 keys work OK and goes to the list of selectable boot devices
The CTRL-ALT and Delete keys work and takes me to the CMOS setup page (BIOS, chipset, etc) page.

main board ID MCP73
SYSTEM SIN PTSB30X00782104E2D2700
SYSTEM BIOS version 08.00.15
SM BIOS version 2.5
SYSTEM BIOS ID R01-B0
BIOS release date: 04/16/2008

Base memory size: 625K
extended memory size: 1791 MB
total memory size: 1791 MB

I have a 320 gig HD divided into 2 160 Gig partitions.

Should I purchase a Windows Vista operating system with SP 1 and try the repair features from it if nothing else works?
I don't want to lose most of the stuff on the hard drive although I've backed up or put a lot of it on DVD-R or CD discs but there's still quite a bit I haven't backed up yet. I plan to get a click free to back up everything I can asap.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

William

Edited by bostonblackie, 01 April 2010 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

OK my mistake. My computer is a 64 bit and I made a DVD-R of Neosmart's 64bit Vista recovery disc and it worked OK...BUT it wont automatically repair the boot up when I tried..

When I click on system repair and the operating system is supposed to be listed, it's blank. If I click on load drivers a list comes up but I dont think any drivers are listed there.

System recovery: It says I have no restore points and if I want to get one, it will not undo it. I'm not sure how to chose a restore point that will work.

I guess I can try the command prompts but not sure what to type there to get that to work.
When I typed regedit the registry comes up but what do I look for there to either check to see if what I need to boot up on my hard drive is there or to get rid of the KM Player in the registry and see if that works.

Need help from someone more computer savvy than I am.

William

Edited by bostonblackie, 04 April 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#3 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Over 100 views and no one has any ideas on how I can fix the problem?

I've checked here and the Windows Vista forums and tried some of the things others have tried and got their computers to boot up but they haven't worked for me.

Here's the list I get when I click on startup repair from the 64 bit recovery disk I made from Neosmart:

First it says it can't repair it automatically
Here is the list it gives me as being the problem:

Problem event name: Startup repair V2
Problem signature 01 System Disk
Problem signature 02 6.0.6001.18000.0.0.0.0
Problem signature 03 0
Problem signature 04 65537
Problem signature 05 unknown
Problem signature 06 no hard drive
Problem signature 07 0
Problem signature 08 0
Problem signature 09 unknown
Problem signature 10 1168
OS version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale D: 1033

I can't get system restore to work; the onluy thing that seems to work is command prompt
the regedit command opens up the registry but I dont know what exactly to check for there.
The whole problem seems to be the boot BCD or boot manager.

BOOTREC/FIXMBR
BOOTREC/FIXBOOT
BOOTREC/REBUILDBCD

none of these work. I get "the device is not ready" for the first 2
for the third: Total identified Windows Installation 0

I don't have a Vista installation disk, just the recovery disk I made from neosmart. And I'd really like to solve the problem without losing everything I have on my hard drive if possible.

It's getting really frustrating trying to get my computer to boot back up normally. You guys helped me the first time I came here with a problem in 2007 so I hope you can help me now too.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

If you are truly on a 64bit Machine then Windows ME wouldnt work it just doesnt have the kernel support for new processors and architecture. It could run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7. So please verify that you do infact have a 64bit machine.

#5 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

cryptodan:
Yes my Acer computer is a 64 bit machine with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. The only reason I put my old Windows ME reinstallation disk in the DVDRAM drive was to make sure the drive worked OK not to try to install ME --- I at first thought my computer was a 32 bit machine and the first recovery disc I made was for a 32 bit Vista recovery disk that didn't work at all so I put the Windows Me disk in to make sure the drive worked OK.

I made a Windows Vista 64 bit recovery disk from neosmart on a verbatim DVD-R and I get the options of system repair, system restore, command prompt, etc. The only thing that seems to work is the command prompt.

When I type in BOOTREC/FIXMBR or BOOTREC/FIXBOOT I get a reply that says
device is not ready. It looks like I need to rebuild my whole boot up system so I can boot up on the hard drive again.

I tried to see if I had BOOTSECT.EXE but it doesn't seem to be on the recovery disk. If I download Bootsect.exe onto a DVD-R like I did the recovery disk, how do I get it to work with the recovery environment?

Regedit opens up the registry but don't know what I can do there if anything. Or even what to look for there.

I don't know anyone who has a Windows Vista installation disk to borrow one. A relative has Vista Home Basic on their Emachine but that was preinstalled too and no disk for that one either.

William

Edited by bostonblackie, 05 April 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#6 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

No one has any answers on how I can get my Acer computer to boot back up and work again?

It is a 64 bit computer.

None of the recovery disk options seem to work. If I update to Windows 7 will that get my computer to boot up again even though it wont in Windows Vista Home Premium?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

Is this a new lap top? How much data is on it? You may just be stuck with either doing the Win7 Upgrade or reinstalling Vista.

#8 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Cryptodan:
No it's not a laptop; it's a desktop computer with a 320 gig hard drive partitioned into two 160 gig HDD's. So as not to fill up one of the partitioned drives, I tried splitting up the data as evenly as I could so I have about 100 gig data on each. I could delete about 40 gig of that as I kept it for convenience of getting to it fast rather than having to locate the disks I made of that data.

A friend recommended me getting an external USB hard drive to back up my data and then update to Windows 7. My only question is if I update to Windows 7 after backing up my Hard drive data, will that solve the boot up problem I have now?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

Have you ran any hard drive diagnostics?

#10 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

Cryptodan:
How do I run hard drive diagnostics if I can't get my computer to boot up? I thought it was just a boot up problem but everyone I've talked to thinks it is a hard disk problem.

Is there a way to check out the hard drive without booting up? I've had a Dell computer's hard drive crash a few years ago but this is not acting like that's what happened this time.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

By boot do you mean get past the POST screen and unable to start Windows? Or by boot do you mean the computer fails to do anything?

#12 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

When I try to boot up I get this message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. TO fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings and then click next

3. Click "repair your computer".

File: \boot\bcd
info: an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrater or computer manufacturer for assistance.

(Unfortunately I didn't get an installation disc as Vista was pre-installed and the Circuit City I got it from went out of business and closed down. The computer is about 1 1/2 years old and worked great until now.)

I downloaded the vista recovery ISO from neosmart and burned it to disk but that hasn't solved the problem.

Edited by bostonblackie, 22 April 2010 - 02:05 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

What kind of computer is this?

Model Number please.

#14 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Cryptodan:

It's an Acer Aspire M1641-U1521A desktop computer with Windows Vista Home Premium.

Here's the C-net page for it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspi...7-33234219.html

Edited by bostonblackie, 23 April 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

Can you get the Hard Drive Model/Serial Number for me, so that I can link you to some drive diagnostics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users