Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a computer 500-600

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ROCKN

ROCKN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hi, i need help on building a unit. Am going to use Windows 7 64 bit. It for Music editing etc,
i need at least 4 gigs of ram, am not so much as gamer so video card does not need to be a expensive and intensive, 500HD, Processor ?, Case?, MB ? (Asus,gigabyte)? Heat sink.
Any suggestion or references to parts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

Assuming you live in the United States, you can find a decent dual core setup for around $600. Below is a suggestion.

Case: COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP - Since you're not gaming, and thus not needing a case that can handle a video card the size of a shoe box, this mid-tower will do nicely. I chose it for three main reasons, it is by a decent company, is inexpensive, and has free shipping. Shipping will cost a fortune with computer cases. $50

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Asus is a good brand and the 785G chipset will suit your needs. This motherboard comes with on-board audio and video, so you don't need to buy extra cards. Like all of AMD's AM3 motherboards, this one will take DDR3-1333 RAM. $100

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz - Since you're not gaming, a simple dual core should be sufficient. This is a Black Edition CPU which means the multiplier is unlocked, making overclocking nearly effortless. I always suggest, regardless of CPU type, to get one that has a clock speed of at least 2.8GHz. or higher. A quad core may be overkill in your situation. This CPU comes with a heat sink included. $100

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W - This is a quality mid-range power supply. The wattage may be overkill for your purposes, but it gives you a buffer just in case you want to add a better graphics card. $64 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is basic DDR3-1333 RAM. It is not really intended for overclocking as it doesn't have heat spreaders. $99

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB - An inexpensive hard drive with plenty of space. $69

Optical Drive: LG DVD Burner Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 - This is a simple drive that can read and write most optical media. $22

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB or more of RAM. $99

OPTIONAL - The stuff below is entirely optional, but if you're into music editing, you may find a dedicated sound card more useful than the on-board.

We will start off at the high-end and work down.
ASUS Xonar D2 - This is a high-end pro-sumer card aimed at music creators or audiophiles. It comes with all the Dolby technologies built in. This is a great card for anyone working with music or home theaters. I have one of these cards. $179

ASUS Xonar D1 - This is a step down from the D2. It has many of the same features, but some of the higher-end stuff, like the interference shield and coax inputs, are gone. $89

HT | OMEGA STRIKER - This is very similar to the D1, it even uses a similar audio processing chip, but has a few more connectors for the same price. However, it does not have all of the Dolby technologies the Xonar cards have. $89

Turtle Beach TBS-3300-01 - A mid-range card with features, but not as many as those before it. $59

Turtle Beach RIVIERA - This is a simple, basic card. It's a little better than the on-board stuff. $21

Grand Total (Before rebates, shipping, and not including optional items): $608

Edited by DJBPace07, 02 April 2010 - 12:40 AM.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

The program you use for editing music...will pretty much determine minimum requirements. Almost any PC made in the last 3 years will probably exceed those.

"Editing music" is pretty generic...exactly what software will you be using?

I use Cool Edit 2K to "edit" my music and we all know how old it is :thumbsup:. 4GB of RAM is more than enough (actually, I have used 2GB), the biggest requirement with it was having a lot of available hard drive space.

This is in contrast to how a graphics editor might work, with the emphasis on RAM.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users