Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs won't open properly for one user only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Richard-4137

Richard-4137

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

Example. I use Irfanview for basic image editing. It would not open from the desktop, asking what program I wanted to use to open it with. However, when I click on an image file, the program will open and run normally. AVG would not run at all.

I logged in as admin. Everything seemed to run normally. No indication of any problem. Tried one of my spare user IDs. Everything runs fine.

The dialog box for "what program do you want to use" has a "search on the web option". Clicking on this brings up a new version of the same dialog, referenceing file "ssvagent.exe". However IE does open behind this, connecting to a Microsoft site.

Also noticed that when I tried to modify the window color and appearance (right-click>personalize), that routine pulled up the same "what program" dialog.

Here is the link to my topic about removing the malware, including the whole story of how I got to this point.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305694/virus-removal-preliminary-question/

The question now is, is it possible to repair this problem for this user, or do I transfer the settings and files to a new user?
Is there a registry item corrupted? System file missing?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Richard-4137, 01 April 2010 - 01:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

Are you sure your machine is free of all the malware?

#3 Richard-4137

Richard-4137
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

You can see the steps I have gone through by reading the other topic referenced above. If you would like to recommend something else, please do. I continue to update and scan with AVG paid version 9 daily.

I believe that the malware is gone, but the damage done remains. I would prefer to repair the damaged user, but if that is not possible I will continue to use the alternate. Either way I would like to understand the nature of the problem.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

Most likely, that profile is corrupted.
Create new profile.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users