Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

has anyone noticed that FireFox 3.6.2pre is very CPU hungry?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jasonpc

jasonpc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

For the past few days I have had nothing but problems with FireFox 3.6.2pre

I have ended up most of the time having to end the programme as it just freezes up the PC completely.

Uninstalled and reinstalled and removed all add-ons and still it is slow.

Any suggestions apart from moving back to IE !

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

Why are you running "pre" version?
3.6.2 final has been released.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

I never install the pre-release versions of Firefox, as they can be riddled with bugs. As Broni stated, 3.6.2 is out as a full release now.

Go to Help > Check for updates in the Firefox menu bar.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

Yes, I've got 3.6.2 and I've noticed it's slower than my old 3.1 and tops off the cpu monitor on the taskbar. Also, I often have to click a link twice because the 1st time I get told firefox can't find the server, but the 2nd time it finds the missing server. I've also got noscript, web of trust, and link alert running, but I noticed 3.5 was also getting cpu hungry before I knew about those add-ons.

However, I've also noticed a lot of my programs on my old [win2k] and "new" computers [winxp and winxp tab ed] are now topping off the cpu monitor whereas before programs happily crashed while the cpu was busy w/ system idle process and virtual memory and RAM appeared non-stressed. Malwarebytes and spybot both require long seconds of 100% cpu to open. Word & Paperport & Nero all require it to save. I think all my GHz of CPU and MB of RAM are busy checking for viruses and malware and trying to figure out how to run windows w/ all its millions of security [not performance] patches - and interfering w/ the work the botnet is trying to get done w/out me knowing they are there.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Actually, 3.6.3 came out in the past couple days.

Occasionally I will get the same "missing server" error you speak of, MaryBet82. But I do not find Firefox lagging or using lots of system resources. It is 10 times faster than IE8 ever thought about being.

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hey keyboardNinja
I avoid IE whatever like the plague. I just try to keep it up to date and as tightly configured security-wise as I can since it's kinda integrated w/ windows and you need it to use windows update [altho I'm trying out the Corel IE add-on in firefox]. I'm using IE 7 on my winxp desktop when forced to because IE8 kept crashing and my win 2k computer can only use IE6.

Is Intel Core 2 Duo a dual core? I just have a hyperthreading processor in my desktop, 512 MB & a much patched winxp. Want to trade?

My Sony VAIO is from 2002 w/ a much patched win2k.

Coincidence or not, I don't know, but programs on both computers started to become cpu hungry w/ patches & increasing malicious threats protection. My program type and usage otherwise hasn't changed. Still using firefox, word xp and 2003, paperport 9 pro and nero 6 & 8 ultra. Attempting to use nero these days. Have always ckdsked & defragged regularly, monitored startup programs and kept an eye on running processes and kept a little cpu monitor down in my tasktray.

Hey Broni,
I have Process Explorer on all my computers. I've been trying to get to know my programs/appplications, win components/ processes, dlls - it's a slow process.

I'm attaching the procexp.txt from the Sony [w2k sp4 laptop]. I can attach one from the dell winxp desktop later. Don't know if I can log on at the same time from two different computers, so I'll log out here first. Haven't turned the thinkpad x41 on today. They all act the same x ,weirdly, the Sony is the most stable of the bunch.

Attached Files

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:34 AM

Broni,

Here is procexp.txt from dell 380 workstation w/ winxp sp2. Both computers have symantec end point protection, altho I turn off the symantec firewall on the dell and use windows firewall. After 1 set of updates, symantec's firewall wouldn't let me access the web.

I run avast on the thinkpad, and I'm planning on putting that on the dell and sony, comodo firewall on the dell, but I haven't come up w/ a firewall for the sony w/ win2k. I think comodo requires winxp. But like I said, despite different av's, slightly different versions programs I actually use, and more installed but not actually used programs on the dell and sony, they all seem to use more cpu now and firefox acts the same on all.

Attached Files

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hey keyboardNinja
I avoid IE whatever like the plague. I just try to keep it up to date and as tightly configured security-wise as I can since it's kinda integrated w/ windows and you need it to use windows update [altho I'm trying out the Corel IE add-on in firefox]. I'm using IE 7 on my winxp desktop when forced to because IE8 kept crashing and my win 2k computer can only use IE6.

Is Intel Core 2 Duo a dual core? I just have a hyperthreading processor in my desktop, 512 MB & a much patched winxp. Want to trade?

My Sony VAIO is from 2002 w/ a much patched win2k.

Coincidence or not, I don't know, but programs on both computers started to become cpu hungry w/ patches & increasing malicious threats protection. My program type and usage otherwise hasn't changed. Still using firefox, word xp and 2003, paperport 9 pro and nero 6 & 8 ultra. Attempting to use nero these days. Have always ckdsked & defragged regularly, monitored startup programs and kept an eye on running processes and kept a little cpu monitor down in my tasktray.

Haha...yes, I avoid it, as well. I only keep it for the same reason you do: sometimes you have to use it.

Yeah, that's a dual core....nope, sorry...no trading. :thumbsup:

Hmm...I'm thinking your CPU hungry programs are directly related to your antivirus program. Symantec is not the best in terms of performance....but you'd have to temporarily disable it to be sure.

#10 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Yo keyboardNinja,
Yes, I'm planning to replace symantec. Used to have pc shield, but at one point [2006] SEP supposedly was catching stuff others didn't. Now avira, avast, and others seem to have better records than symantec. Avira seems to have had the best for the longest, but I heard about avast first and I really like its automatic update that you don't schedule but that happens shortly after you boot up [I got the paid version]. When I was getting started w/ it & had questions, I got prompt responses in their user forum 'cause the pro is a bit complicated. [All the "seems" is because I'm not always sure I'm reading from a good source]

So I have avast 4.8 pro on my thinkpad + windows firewall and, like I said [I think], all my computers act the same as far as topping off the cpu monitor and slow performance. Avast does have real-time protection that includes downloads [it checks something and then allows the download if that's ok - you can tell my expert level w/ that line], an anti-worm feature, email, chat, p2p as well as the usual checking files that you open. Don't use the last 2, but avast stays busy on my computer. Whether that busyness requires hogging the cpu and whether another av could do the same job differently, I don't know. I was looking into panda's cloud av, but panda doesn't have the catch 'em rep of avira and avast.

I don't understand how much or in what ways all the security updates have altered the current winxp from the one my word & paperport & nero were designed for, but I know "they" said sp2 was like a completely different os. I think "they" probably exaggerated, but I do suspect winxp is substantially altered - even from when sp2 first came out. Paperport made no apparent attempt to adjust. Nero did, but not enough. MS- ha -they were too busy writing word updates for security and major crashing behavior and starting on word 7 to bother about trying to sync word xp w/ winxp. Not that I'm bitter.

I don't expect my computers to act like they have dual cores and 3 GB ram [sorry you don't want to trade :thumbsup: ], but for what I use them for they should be adequate & they are not.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

I tried Avast once on my netbook, but was very displeased with the performance. It was just dragging everything down. Never bothered to try it on my laptop. You can see from my signature the AV I'm running, and it does a decent job. As soon as I log in, the CPU usage spikes on the anti-malware service (reading files after I wake up the computer, I suppose), but then goes right back to 0%. I've never had a malware infection of any kind. Of course, safe browsing habits (yay for Firefox!!) and a good firewall factor into this, but you get my point.

Yeah, my AV scans downloads before they are saved to the hard drive, too (all active protection AV's do this, I assume). Once I had an ISO ripping/burning program I downloaded get flagged as a malicious toolbar or something. I just deleted it from quarantine and reported it to Softpedia.

I'm not up to speed on the exact differences between XP service packs, but like you said, they are different in one way or another.

Yeah, I made sure I had a more than adequate processor and extra RAM when I got my laptop (it came with Vista). Machines 2 or 3 years older just don't compare with the new Intel Core i5 or i7 that they have these days. Old computers are just slow...not much else to it. Yes, they should be adequate for simple use, but with the new software, AV programs, and infinitely patched XP....you can run into performance issues as you have demonstrated. At this point, most people just buy a new computer...or keep cursing their old one. :thumbsup:

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Well, on first computer System Idle Process is at 95.10% and on the second one it's at 96.04% - perfect in both cases.
You'd have to post PE log, when CPU usage spikes, so we can see what's happening.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hey keyboardNinja,

I copied your idea and put my computer info in my signature. Now I don't have to remember [oops forgot] to put it in the post. Never heard of Sunbelt - maybe I just skipped over it in a Freudian manner in review articles since my brain can only compare so many av's before freaking.

When I finish troubleshooting the dell I may decide not to invest in more memory, new dvd drive etc. and start pricing new computers. There's a compuzone near me that could "build" one for me so I could pick the processor, mb, etc. Don't know if I'm up to all that research.

While you're running win 7 on a dual core do you do a lot of multitasking? I routinely run several word docs and several firefox tabs. I can usually add opening/closing notepad, paint, a folder or two w/out crashing initially on a good day. After running for awhile word usually crashes. Paperport I have to run pretty much by itself.

That pattern had been consistent since my 2002 win2k prof compuzone computer w/ my amd athlon xp & dragon mobo thru the 2002 sony VAIO, 2005 dell 380 and 2005 thinkpad x41. Before investing in dual core, lots of RAM, etc. I'd like to know if the software available to do what I need to do can actually use the hardware. Do you ever approximate my computer use or do you burn a lot of videos or power up for games?

How is win7 compared to winxp as far as programs it's running stability and security updates? I've seriously been considering researching macs. I've only known a few mac users but they don't cuss like us windows users. The ones who used it for business purposes seemed to be able to spend their time on their business rather than trying to get their computers to work. I'd have to learn a whole new language, as it were, and they are sooo expensive.

If macs are really reliable it'd be worth it, tho. I really need a reliable computer and I need it 6 years ago. Then I could just play w/ my pc's when I had time. If win 7 is consistent and reliable on different hardware configurations [esp. the one I pick] and and word 7 works on win 7 then I need to upgrade now and get the hardware that will let it do its stuff.

Hey Broni,
Today my cpu monitor has stayed at 100% on the Sony and when I checked taskmanager firefox has been at 95-99%. Doing anything has been really slow. I did another Procexp.txt [Procexp2.txt] while taskmanager was showing firefox at 96% and Procexp2.txt shows firefox at 96.04.

One question I was going to post in the Are You Infected is - I had spywareblaster set my IE homepage so that it can't be changed. I'm pretty sure that's a registry setting it changes. Now Malwareblaster scans are reporting Hijack.Homepage and holding the registry entry in quarantine. [Can it do that?] No infected files have been reported - just registry entries. I figured Malwarebytes is reporting spywareblaster's setting. The value for Homepage at that registry entry is 1.
Malwarebytes also reports and quarantines the registry entry for FirewallDisableNotify [value = 1] as Disabled.SecurityCenter. This is a win2k machine w/ no security center or windows firewall, so I figured that was the problem. Altho Trend Micro Housecall & comodo firewall require winxp, I didn't think malwarebytes did.

Anyway I don't think I'm infected, but I could be wrong. Both entries are now listed in the Ignore List.

Attached Files

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

This is really high CPU usage by FF.
Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode).
Use it this way for a while and see, if CPU spikes will happen again.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

Hey keyboardNinja,

I copied your idea and put my computer info in my signature. Now I don't have to remember [oops forgot] to put it in the post. Never heard of Sunbelt - maybe I just skipped over it in a Freudian manner in review articles since my brain can only compare so many av's before freaking.
Yes, putting your computer's info in your sig is very helpful to the people assisting you. Don't worry...I copied the idea from somewhere else. :P Well, Sunbelt may not be that well known. If you look at the bottom of their website, you can see they've been around for a while...1996-present. Like I said, I've never had anything more than a tracking cookie.

When I finish troubleshooting the dell I may decide not to invest in more memory, new dvd drive etc. and start pricing new computers. There's a compuzone near me that could "build" one for me so I could pick the processor, mb, etc. Don't know if I'm up to all that research.
Yeah, by the time you put all the money and effort into repairing an aging PC, you could have already bought a new one (and have a much better machine overall...one that is new, not debilitating).

While you're running win 7 on a dual core do you do a lot of multitasking? I routinely run several word docs and several firefox tabs. I can usually add opening/closing notepad, paint, a folder or two w/out crashing initially on a good day. After running for awhile word usually crashes. Paperport I have to run pretty much by itself.
Yes, I do a lot of multi-tasking. The only way I can strain it is by running a virtual machine. I've actually tried to overwhelm it by opening tons of programs and documents (over 30), but was unsuccessful. :cool:

That pattern had been consistent since my 2002 win2k prof compuzone computer w/ my amd athlon xp & dragon mobo thru the 2002 sony VAIO, 2005 dell 380 and 2005 thinkpad x41. Before investing in dual core, lots of RAM, etc. I'd like to know if the software available to do what I need to do can actually use the hardware. Do you ever approximate my computer use or do you burn a lot of videos or power up for games?
What all software are we talking here? Most things that run in XP and Vista work in Windows 7 (I've only seen one completely incompatible program...most that have trouble can be used in Compatibility Mode).

How is win7 compared to winxp as far as programs it's running stability and security updates? I've seriously been considering researching macs. I've only known a few mac users but they don't cuss like us windows users. The ones who used it for business purposes seemed to be able to spend their time on their business rather than trying to get their computers to work. I'd have to learn a whole new language, as it were, and they are sooo expensive.
I haven't had any major issues. Much more stable than Vista. Security...eh...it's probably the most secure Microsoft OS right now simply because the market share is so low compared to XP and Vista. But yeah, the security features work great. And UAC isn't as much of a pain as it was in Vista (if you've ever used it). Coupled with a good AV, firewall, and the occasional Malwarebytes' scan...you're good to go. :flowers:

Macs are the most reliable computers you can buy. They are made to strict specifications for maximum usability. But you do have to pay a heavy price tag...and like you said, they are very different from PC's. Mainly the GUI (graphical user interface). Navigating through a Mac is hard for me (I've only used one once). Some of the keyboard shortcuts are the same, but I don't know all the ins and outs of OS X. It's a bit of a learning curve, but doable.

If macs are really reliable it'd be worth it, tho. I really need a reliable computer and I need it 6 years ago. Then I could just play w/ my pc's when I had time. If win 7 is consistent and reliable on different hardware configurations [esp. the one I pick] and and word 7 works on win 7 then I need to upgrade now and get the hardware that will let it do its stuff.
Like I said, if you want pure reliability (at a high cost), then go for a Mac. But if you stay with a PC (you've got plenty of excellent options...make a new topic here if you want to discuss new PC's further), Windows 7 is where it's at. Yes, all Office programs run like a champ. Pretty much everything does. Yes, you can still be plagued by the common PC problems...malware, driver issues, etc...but hey, you know exactly where to come for help, don't ya? :trumpet: If you know what you're doing and ask for help when you don't, things tend to work out pretty well.

Hey Broni,
Today my cpu monitor has stayed at 100% on the Sony and when I checked taskmanager firefox has been at 95-99%. Doing anything has been really slow. I did another Procexp.txt [Procexp2.txt] while taskmanager was showing firefox at 96% and Procexp2.txt shows firefox at 96.04.

One question I was going to post in the Are You Infected is - I had spywareblaster set my IE homepage so that it can't be changed. I'm pretty sure that's a registry setting it changes. Now Malwareblaster scans are reporting Hijack.Homepage and holding the registry entry in quarantine. [Can it do that?] No infected files have been reported - just registry entries. I figured Malwarebytes is reporting spywareblaster's setting. The value for Homepage at that registry entry is 1.
Malwarebytes also reports and quarantines the registry entry for FirewallDisableNotify [value = 1] as Disabled.SecurityCenter. This is a win2k machine w/ no security center or windows firewall, so I figured that was the problem. Altho Trend Micro Housecall & comodo firewall require winxp, I didn't think malwarebytes did.
Yes, registry entries can be malicious. You might want to go ahead and post a new topic in AII to be sure. If nothing comes up, they'll send you on your way. And if it turns out you are infected, they'll get you cleaned up. :)

Anyway I don't think I'm infected, but I could be wrong. Both entries are now listed in the Ignore List.

My apologies to jasonpc for hijacking this thread. If needed, our banter can be split off into another topic in order to keep the confusion down and stay on topic: lagging Firefox. It's hard to not talk about everything under the sun (hardware, new computers, software, etc..) when it comes up. And obviously I'm not going to ignore MaryBet82's posts. What can I say? I like conversation... :)

But yeah Mary, try Firefox in safe mode. It could just be an addon you have that is being contrary. But we may have to take our little computer chat elsewhere.... :inlove: :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 04 April 2010 - 11:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users