Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LeBoW120

LeBoW120

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hi there,

I recently had a problem with my Internet connection, which I thought I manged to get sorted, with the help of someone from this site, but now I fear the problem may be back.
The problem is that whenever I use Bit-torrent or any other P2P program like Kazaa or Imesh, my connection suddenly cuts off but my computer still registers that i'm on-line. After a few minutes it reboots itself.
I have a broadband connection of 2 meg supplied by AOL.
Also when I check the zones section in my zone Alarm, it reads as though there are 2 connections, one AOL and the other simply titled The Internet. They both have different I.P addresses.

Someone please help.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

How is your broadband modem connected to the computer?

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

The two different IP numbers is normal for AOL users. AOL is not a direct internet connection - at least it wasn't when I last used it. AOL is a separate network with it's own gateway to the internet. hence two IP numbers. As for getting kicked off P2P networks -- that could be AOL preventing it's members from using software which may land it in court -- it's a very grey area at the moment and AOL may be playing it safe.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

Or - other users may be "overdrawing" your bandwidth allowance by attempting downloads from you and therefore getting you dumped by AOL.

#5 LeBoW120

LeBoW120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:04 PM

I have a BT Voyager 100 ADSL modem which is connected through my phone line. This problem only started again a few days ago. How do i stop others overdrawing my bandwidth?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

Adjust your Kazaa and other P2P settings to disallow connections, but upon rethinking it, it is most likely AOL disconnecting you intentionally.

Look at their rules regarding P2Ps.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 September 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#7 LeBoW120

LeBoW120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:40 AM

Could the problem be related to my BT voyager 100 modem?
I've been checking other forums and apparently there is a problem with PPP connections using usb modems, especially BT voyager.
My downloads have been good up until the last few days, so it may not necessarily be AOL.
I haven't found a mention of p2p softwares in AOL's rules.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:03 AM

Is that a paid version of Kazaa, if not it has spyware. That can interfere with your connection.

In your P2P programs find the options and limit or remove your outgoing connections. You can change the amount of bandwidth that uploads that way.

Go to DslReports.com, pick a speed test near you and do it three times and take the average. Unplug the modem for 30 seconds to clear the cache and try them again. You need to recycle your modem occasionly for best performance.

You could have a defective modem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users