Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to create recovery partition?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scorpionkingin

Scorpionkingin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

I want to create a recovery partition on my windows xp desktop. Pretty much i want to be pompted when the pc boots to hit f10 and have a count down of 4 seconds . I know this would be done through boot.ini however i have no idea how to do so. Also id make a seperate partition on my hd of ten gigs just for the backup image. Im guessing id use ghost to make the backup. But if someone could help me.... I'll appreciate it. Thanks

Please mail me on scorpionkingin@gmail.com
Scorpionking
With Best Regards,

Scorpion king.............!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

There are a couple of items you would have to do. First create a new partition, format it with FAT32 and make it bootable using DOS or The version that comes with Ghost. Create your image using Ghost or Acronis and save it there. You will have to install the imaging program on the partition as well put it in a folder called Ghost. Then you will need to create an AUTOEXEC.BAT file to load Ghost on start up saved in the same folder. I would make the parition bigger this way you can keep a few different images stored if you want. Finally you will need to alter you Boot.ini file. Create a copy and save it somewhere easy to remember first in case you make a mistake and need to restore the old one.

The boot.ini should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Ghost="Recovery Partition"

You can change how long the wait in seconds is by altering the timeout value.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users