Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Un-split my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:33 PM

Anyone know why is my hard drive split into three drives?

I inherited the PC when a friend's firm had a clearout (all legit, I swear!). It's hard drive is split into C: D: and E: drive.
C: has windows 95 and a load of accountancy software on which I'll never use
D: has XP professional installed, as well as the software which I use.
E: hold the music library for media player and any other files I can fit in it.

I'd like to get the most out of the machine, but I don't know much about the subject. :thumbsup: The ideal situation would be to just have a C: drive with XP and get rid of the D: E: and unnecessary software.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
Cheers
Hagbag69

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

yes, reformat with win xp, make sure you delete the partitions and format with NTFS when you are prompted to select a partition in the first part of the format and setup. since it wasnt your computer to begin with, it would be fair to assume you have nothing to back up.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 hagbag69

hagbag69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Snapper. I didnīt realise it was such a simple operation! Someone recently told me that "there's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're easier to answer"!
Cheers
Hagbag69

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

hagbag69 you may want to keep a seperate drive(partition) for your data, pictures, and music files. Put your OS and programs on c:\ and you created info on d:\ drive. If you have your OS corrupted to the point you have to format and reinstall your OS you won't loose your non replacable files. Pictures, MP3, school work,...
It won't protect you from a HD failure, but that is far more rare than a virus corrupting your OS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

I certainly agree with Acklan. Having meaningful partitions, especially on very large hard drives, just makes sense from a security and maintenance perspective (it is easier to defrag two partitions, for example, than one).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

This is a utility I really like call Digital Dolly. It will allow you to resize/delete/add/format partitions. It does several more thing that are handy as well. Best of all it's free. It boots from a CD into a 4 color GUI linux enviroment. Very clean and easy to use but powerful. It is similar to Partition Magic without the heavy price. I personally think it's a must for your computer toolbox.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users