Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Start-up Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

First let me say that this message board (specifically this forum and the hijack this! forum) has been very helpful to me, allowing me to keep my computer up and running by merely lurking. But I have encountered a problem with my sister's computer, so I have broken down and signed up. If I have posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize and please let me know where this should be posted.

Anyway...
While using the computer (running winxp) I noticed that some of the programs were running slow (such as AIM and AOL), so I made sure the definitions for my ad-aware, spybot search & destroy, ms anti-virus, and cw shredder were updated. I restarted the computer into safe mode, successfully removing several spy/ad ware as well as 3 dialers (don't have the names written down because they seemed successfully removed).

When I restarted XP, the computer would get stuck on the blue "Welcome" screen for an extended period of time. Eventually it would allow me to login to the "Owner" settings (although usually it would allow "Owner" and "Administrator"). When I selected the "Owner" setting, it indicated that the settings were being loaded and for a brief (less than a second) amount of time the screen would show the desktop's wallpaper, only to immediately return to the blue "welcome" screen, informing me that the settings were being saved and logged me out.

After I tried a couple times to no avail, I tried restarting the computer in safe mode. I haven't had to run this computer in safe mode before I found it strange that after I selected safe mode and it asked me which OS to load it said "Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal." I don't know if this is normal, but I thought I would mention it just in case. This time, I was able to see both the "owner" and "administrator" login options, but once again, each time I tried to login, it would immediately log me out. I also tried running the "last known good configuration", only to receive the same results.

I have no idea what may have caused this or how to fix it. Is there anything I can do or should I just reinstall Windows XP? My sister does not have any start up/back up discs available for me to use outside the XP installation disc.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:05 PM

What exactly is the disk that you have?

Is it a complete Microsoft XP installation disk or a manufacturer's restore disk?

Do you have the key (license number) for Windows XP so you can revalidate it after the installation and also key it in during the install (which will be required)?

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 September 2005 - 10:09 PM.

#3 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply....

I have a windows XP installation disc, but unfortunately my key has gone missing. As far as manufacturer restore discs, my sister either a. can't remember where she put them B. doesn't know what i'm talking about or c. threw it out and is afraid to tell me so. I guess that limits my options right now. Under the advanced booting screen I get when hitting F8, there is an option for "directory services restore mode." Would that be of any use? And things just keep getting better with the computer...now when I try to run windows in regular or safe mode, I get a blue error screen that mentions something about an "unmountable boot volume."

*EDIT*

I have found my Windows XP installation key. I have no desire to try to save any programs or files on the computer, so unless someone has a different suggestion, I have no problem reinstalling windows xp.

Thanks

Edited by float1ng1nspace, 18 September 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#4 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

After finding my XP key, I tried to use the disc to reinstall windows, but the only screen I get (whether I try to normally starting up windows, safe mode, or last known config) is the "unmountable boot volume" screen. In addition to the started dialog, here is the technical info on the screen:

STOP: 0X000000ED (OX81EE8680, 0XC00000032, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

The computer won't even recognize or run the windows installation disc. I have not installed any new hardware or software (that I am aware of).

Brian

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

I believe you need a boot disk. (floppy)

A boot disk from win 98 will do.

You can download the data to make one if you have the use of another computer at:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

See if you can do this first:

Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 315403
Last Review : November 4, 2003
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q315403
SYMPTOMS
When you use volumes that use the NTFS file system on integrated device electronics (IDE) drives with caching enabled, you may receive the following error message during startup:
Stop 0x000000ED
Unmountable_Boot_Volume
The normal recovery process in such a case is to run the chkdsk /r command from Recovery Console, and then continue. On OEM versions of Windows XP, the Recovery Console may not be accessible. If this fix has not been included in the OEM build of Windows XP, you may not be able to enter Recovery Console and run the chkdsk /r command for recovery. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
308402 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308402/EN-US/) Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep in Windows XP
CAUSE
Because of the write-pattern optimization in IDE disk drives, the caching routines sometimes write data out of order to keep drive write speeds at the fastest possible level depending on where data is located on the disk. This opens a timing window where the NTFS disk system could have critical tables damaged if a write is not finished. Microsoft has recommended in the past that caching on IDE drives be turned off on programs with somewhat critical data that is stored on the disk or for situations that allow the slight drop in overall speed. Programs with critical data may need to use SCSI drives, which have better control of data transactions.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack
To resolve this problem, obtain the following update from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
DownloadDownload the "Critical Update, February 10, 2002" update now (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)
Release Date: February 10, 2002

For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119591/EN-US/) How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 1.

MORE INFORMATION
see article at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315403

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 September 2005 - 07:59 PM.

#7 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

Ok...

I made XP boot discs. I put the first of six in and it went alright, but once I got the second one in I got a "ntkrnlmp.exe error code 7" error. I then created a win 98 boot disc and it has gotten me to a msdos prompt. I also searched the microsoft website and couldn't find a critical update from feb. 10th, 2002. What do you suggest?

Edited by float1ng1nspace, 18 September 2005 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users