Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 - Login at Start-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 larrysnatch

larrysnatch

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:21 PM

I just purchased a computer from an office liquidation event. The computer has windows 2000 installed but requires a login password upon start-up. I do not have any login information or password. How can I get into the computer wihout this info? Would I be able to use a bootable disk from somewhere?

You're help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:35 PM

The people who sold you the computer should have provided the password or
they should have reset the administrator password and eliminated the need for passwords before they sold it to you and then you could have set your own or left it without the need for a password.

Did you get the Microsoft Windows 2000 full installation disc with the computer?
If you have that, the key (license number) for Windows 2000, and a boot disc, you can do a fresh reinstall of windows.

#3 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Unfortunately the computer was sold via a bankruptcy sale. No password, administartor info, or installation disc was provided.

I do not have Microsoft Windows 2000 full installation, nor a boot disc. Should I purchase an operating system (ie. WIndows XP)? How would I install it at startup?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:00 AM

This may be a reasonable choice Ebay. Without the disk you are legally out of luck. If you do a clean install there are plenty of freeware apps. to put on your computer. I would also suggest you try Puppy Linux until you get your W2k disks in. It's a 60meg download that will run from a CD and best of all it's free. Go to the site and take a look. You may find your needs filled with it.
Good Luck. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 larrysnatch

larrysnatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:18 AM

How do I do a clean install with using a new operating system? Everytime I boot the computer, I will not be able to get past the login prompt.

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

Well as long as you arent hacking I guess it's okay to post this link. If a moderator thinks it is not okay to post the link then by all means delete it for me.
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
I have successfully used this to reset Windows 2000 admin passwords.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:26 PM

A clean install is where you insert the Windows program disk, and wipe clean your hard drive then windows is reinstalled. You will loose all current information and programs. You would need the Windows disk and the COA ( the serial number for that copy of windows) number that comes with it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

Acklan is spot on with the re install, but you said you didnt have a disk. As long as you have the COA sticker somewhere on the computer you can borrow a friends copy of 2000 if you wanted to reinstall. If you didnt want to bother with that, I provided the info earlier.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

You can purchase a new op system, and being that Win 2k is getting old and will lose it's Microsoft support soon, Win Xp or Win XP Pro would be a better choice.

You need to make sure the system you have will run XP. How old is it and what exactly are the specs?

There are places on the internet that sell OEM Windows XP full installation discs pretty cheaply. I bought an XP Pro, full install, full hologram disc complete with EULA and COA for a little more than $100 for a new computer I built. Prices have gotten even cheaper in the last few months. I saw a Win XP Home full OEM for $60 recently.

Just search around a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users