Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard will not operate at boot but will after Windows starts.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Traylor1

Traylor1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

First time post here...

An oddity, I want to see if there is anyone with some sort of idea as to what is going on.

I am running an Intel DG31PR. I was using a USB Apple Keyboard that I have had for years with no problem. I gave the keyboard to my son and went out and bought me a new Apple Pro Keyboard (I Like the look and feel if you must know).

When I got home I plugged it in and the computer froze before I could even get into the BIOS setup screen. After some playing around, I figured out that I had to unplug the keyboard, wait until Windows XP started, and then could plug it in at the XP splash screen. Once it was plugged in Windows boots normally and everything is peachy. I am even able to restart my computer and it runs fine. However, if I turn the power to the machine off for longer than a few seconds, I am back at square one.

I have tried to research this to no avail. I have seen recommendations to make sure USB Legacy is on in the Bios, which it is. I have made a few adjustments in my regedit, but still the problem exists.

It almost acts as if it needs power to the keyboard before it will do anything. But I would think that even with that, it would not lock my system up.

Does anyone have ANY ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

I would try using it with a PS2 adapter and plugging it into the PS2 connector to see if that makes any difference. I think most USB keyboards come with a little adapter that can be used to make it use the PS2 connector.

Edited by Stang777, 01 April 2010 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users