Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 and AMD question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I have an HP Pavillion Notebook PC with Windows XP Home SP2. It's powered by an AMD Athlon processor. I have not yet installed SP3 because I've read that SP3 and AMD do not play nicely together. Especially on an HP machine. There's a problem of an endless reboot loop.

Everything I've read mentions HP Pavillion's desktop PC's but not their Pavillion laptops. HP has a patch that one can download and install that's suppose to prevent the reboot from happening. But when I tried to install it all I get is a pop-up saying my system does not meet the minimum requirements. But I could never determine if that means I don't need the patch or if I don't have enough RAM or HD space. HP doesn't seem to know the answer either. All they could tell me when I contacted them via e-mail was to 'stay away' from SP3 till further notice. This was over a year ago and so far I've not heard/read if the problem still continues.

So does anyone know if it's safe to take the update? I would download it via windows update.

Thank you for your time and your help.

Ziva

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimTheTech

TimTheTech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

Could you provide a little more Information on your system such as model number, hard drive size (along with remaining space on drive), amount of ram, most of these you can get by "right clicking" on My Computer and C drive. The model number should be on the front or underside of the notebook.

Thanks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:42 PM

HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495

SP3 Install Issues, Sysprep Used On Image - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356

Update for SP3 AMDIntelBoxmaker Problems Installing - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

#4 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

Knew I forgot something. Here are the specs:

HP Pavillion zv5000
Amd Athlon 64 Processor 3000+