Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow load time between dell splash screen and windows splash screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lilkel35

lilkel35

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

Okay, I'm relatively new to this forum and recently posted in the "infections" area. I had a nasty trojan and my only recourse was to reformat my hard drive and reinstall my operating system. I am VERY comfortable with this process as I have done it 4 times on the system already. I decided to do something different though. I have a Western Digital 320gb external hard drive that is a couple years old. The hard drive that came with my desktop system (the one that was infected) is 80gb, and the casing for the WD external hard drive died, so this hard drive was just "sitting around." I figured, why not give my desktop some more space! Sorry for the long back story. Anyway, I checked all the pins and jumper settings and the 320gb seems identical in size and configuration to the 80gb I pulled out of the system.

So, I popped the 320gb into my system and it was immediately recognized by the system, I popped in the XP CD that came with the system and off I went--formatting the hard drive (it had not ever had an operating system on it since it was an external backup drive) and installing XP. I am currently in the process of doing all of the Windows updates. I have already installed all the other drivers for my other computer hardware--like I said, I have the format/operating system to a science at this point and double check that I'm doing stuff in the right order.

My problem is this: when I am rebooting my computer, there is a huge lag between the Dell splash screen, which pops up almost instantaneously, and the actual Windows startup. By huge lag, I mean 5-10 minutes. It starts up, the Dell splash screen pops up and then disappears to a black screen, the black screen stays for a few minutes and then a line of little white vertical bars appears at the bottom of the screen and they "fill in" like a loading bar would do for another few minutes or so. Then Windows starts. Has anyone experienced this to know where I should start to look? I hate doing a bunch of troubleshooting and downloading a bunch of software on a system I just "cleaned" so before I do so, I'm just trying to target whether I should go to WD and run diagnostics on the hard drive or go to Windows and repair install XP or something. Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, the WD hard drive was working fine as of a month or so ago--it developed a power cord issue and the casing went bad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lilkel35

lilkel35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

So, before I got any further on the operating system reinstall, I downloaded WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. Ran a "Quick Test" and a pop-up came us saying "Quick test on drive 1 did not complete! Status Code = 07 (failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 65 (Error Log Test) Smart self-test did not complete on drive 1!" So, I tried to run the "Extended Test" and it froze up about 20 minutes into it. Had to turn off via power button to recover. Not looking good...So, I ran Windows chkdsk with "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" checked and it got to Phase 4 and then sat there. I figured it would take a while since it's 320gb, but after an hour not even one little green mark showing progress or anything. Then I moved the mouse and the thing beeped and locked up.

Can anyone confirm that these things mean the drive is actually bad, or could the format have gone awry? I don't want to sit through another 5 hours of formatting if the drive is bad...any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

If hard drive manufacturer test fails, you can be 99.9% sure, the drive is a goner.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 lilkel35

lilkel35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

So, hard drive test doesn't "fail" per se...it never finishes--it stops at the exact same sector and just sits there--then locks up the entire system only to be recovered by turning off with power button. Chkdsk gets to Phase 4 and the drive light goes out, things stop humming and it freezes as well before it can even get into any of the test....

From these results, it's not something that would be fixed by reformatting again? Not some sort of formatting glitch? Just want to confirm before I throw the nice big drive out the window! :thumbsup:

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

According to on of the advisors at WD: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/WD10EA...C165B4D70E7CFE2 (same errors as yours)

The initial results of your testing are not good. I'd recommend that you back up your data (now) as a precaution. It is possible for a drive to fail a quick test, but pass the extended. If you encounter the same error two or more times after testing, I would RMA or replace the drive. If you wish to test the drive further, perform a low level format (Write Zeros), selecting Full Erase when promted. If the drive errors again, you have a confirmed failure.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 lilkel35

lilkel35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

Thanks...I had read that post on WDs forums yesterday. He doesn't have the exact same problem, as he was able to complete the extended test with no errors. He had the same problem with the quick test though. I decided not to waste anymore time with it for now--the formatting took forever the first time. I just put my smaller drive back in the system. Thanks though.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

No problem :thumbsup:

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users