Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Movie Maker in Vista

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Would you be willing to help me diagnose a problem I am having with Movie Maker in Vista Home Premium (SP1)?

I'll provide details upon a positive response.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

I don't know if this is what you would call a "positive response" or not, but I don't need any details. Install SP2 and tell us if you still have problems.

#3 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

The only thing I can think of we won't help with is copying 'hollywood' or copywrited movies.

We can help with it's function and converting your camcorder movies to the proper format so the program can use it.

What is the problem?

You really should update! It probably won't run faster but may fix this program and the updates fix most of the security holes that virus's use to infect your comp.

#4 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

I upgraded to Sp2, but I still have a problem.

I am using a Sony 8mm Camcoder with a Firewire Connection to my Computer. I was able to succesfully upload about a dozen VHS tapes using analog connection from a VHS player to my Camcoder, which converted the home movie and passed it on to my CPU. I used Movie maker, and saved as WMV files. I was then able to successfully pull multiple files together and publish to a final WMV files. Note that Movie Maker had no control over the Camcoder in this mode.

I am now trying to upload home movies stored on 8mm tape. Moviemaker has the ability to control the Camcoder now.
I start the video capture and all is well for anywhere from 25 to 45+ minutes (it varies...I have tried this about 6-8 times, both as a single video file capture and multiple files parts). I have the performace monitor running, and I see that physcial memory usage climbs slowly towards about 70% of my max. I know the problem is about to happen because CPU usage drops from about 50% down to less than 5%, and then I get a notice that Moviemaker stops working, with the following error message detail:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CaptureWizard.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 479193ef
Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a727
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00009f13
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

When I google that, I come up with a conflict between your video driver and your network card of all things and manifests itself with IE. I can see where the video driver comes into play, but not the network card or internet explorer. The google results I found were OLD, like BEFORE SP2 was released............

What is your video card? Is it by chance an ATI? Or if you use onboard video, is it an ATI chipset? LOl after that last sentence, I did some more research and found it happening with an nVidia card as well. I would recommend updating your video drivers and let's see what happens.

Here is a thread from 2008 that is very similar to your problem. I don't see that they solved it, but they do offer some suggestions and send the guy to a forum I've never heard of. I didn't follow it from there though.

SP2 fixed many issues with Vista.

Edited by DeathStalker, 31 March 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#6 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

I also found solutions based on video drivers so it is a good idea----also--

(this might be part of existing updates but......try installing movie maker version 2.6-- there is a good chance that yours is 2.1 and I found quite a few different errors for that version in vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads...9d-068fc0f80cfc (NOTE do not uninstall your current one because this install program will not install on a system that does not already have it.)

My c++ 2005 was updated in january of this year so recommened doing these updates too.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What follows is general info mostly aimed at deathstalker- My c++ knowledge is quite limited yet think this may be part of the problem-

The fault module points to c++

Msvcrt.dll
Msvcrt.dll is the (Microsoft Visual C++ Run-Time) for Visual C++ versions 4.2 to 6.0. It provides programs compiled with these versions of Visual C++ a typical set of library functions required by C and C++ programs. These include string manipulation, memory allocation, C-style input/output calls, etc.

It has also shipped with Windows versions since Windows 2000 for use by other Windows components. In older versions of Windows, programs which linked against Msvcrt.dll were expected to install a compatible copy in the System32 folder, but this contributed to DLL Hell.

Versions of Visual C++ before 4.0 and since 7.0 have used differently named DLLs for each version (msvcr20.dll, msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll, etc). Applications are required to install the appropriate version.[4]

#7 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

Bill1821, Deathstalker - Thanks for your quick response. I'll try both over the next couple of days and let you know what happened.

#8 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

FYI.....The version of Windows MM I have is 6.2.6002.18005.

#9 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

I have an ATI HD 3450 Driver, and the result of the Driver Update search is that I have the latest and greatest driver.

I also tried the link to the "guy" who had a similar problem, but the link yielded a window which said..."Service Unavailable"

Edited by Harris Snyder, 01 April 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Interesting. I just found something out about Movie Maker that I can't verify and don't have time to try right now. It's from Wiki, but as everyone knows, Wiki is not a reliable source as anyone can add to it, it needs verified. Anyway, from HERE comes the following statement:

However, the Windows Vista version of Windows Movie Maker no longer supports importing video from an analog video source such as an analog camcorder, VCR or from a webcam.

If you click the link you can find that statement under the Vista section of the article. I think that needs checking into further....... It may well be your problem if it's true.

#11 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

I checked it out. The statement "Vista version of Windows Movie Maker no longer supports importing video from an analog video source such as an analog camcorder"......is interesting to me because I was able to pull in video when my camcoder was an intermediate device between the VCR and the CPU, and I was able to pull in 25-45 minutes of video from my camcoder to the CPU (before WMM died).
Would you recommend I just move to "WindoWs Live Movie Maker"?

#12 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

I don't know. I never used either one. I had Pinnacle, which is a REALLY CRAPPY video editing software IMHO. I see it doesn't have some of the features that movie maker had, but it doesn't say which it doesn't have. To be honest, it's free so why not try it? I think THIS is the right download.....

EDIT: It's odd I'm finding this out right now. I was about to try Movie Maker since I got rid of Pinnacle.

Edited by DeathStalker, 01 April 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#13 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Loaded WIndows Live Movie Maker. It sucked in 2 hrs of my 8mm Video (20 GB) without a glitch, and I just published my first movie.

Thanks for the suggestion! Once again, I'll be making a donation.

#14 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Cool. I guess I WILL try that now. I have some footing from my nieces wedding as well as the crappy dvd that she paid some scammster to make to try to clean up and make into something worth watching.

It's funny how folks (myself included) will buy a third party application (like Pinnacle) without even trying the free stuff that Windows offers.............. It's just so "cool" to say Windows sucks that after a while we start believing they don't do ANYTHING right....... all the while using their OS. Don't make a lick of sense does it?

I'm sure Grinler will appreciate your donation. :huh:

Edited by DeathStalker, 03 April 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#15 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Great news!

How was the interface to work with?

I have only made a couple of home video's myself and I made the destination drive a different Hard disk drive than the read hdd. Just figured it would be faster than one drive doing read/write- don't know if it worked out that way- this was on my old single core computer and it still took hours to turn 30? gb of(huffyuv compression-50%) >.avi into a dvd movie. I don't remember what the program was but could have been the older WMM. Came from vhs tape played/captured real time.

Looked much better than the standalone DVD recorder could make- DVD recorders are a big disappointment they all take a signal and turn it into digital- While I am not familar with units produced in the last two years the units are incapable of producing a good image. Even if they recieve an image from digital cable they convert it to analog then back to digital- wrecking quality. While this has nothing to do with your projects I am adding it because this info isn't covered well in other areas. When you read reviews for example they will give you fancy numbers ETC. but NONE of them say if you want to record something that looks GOOD then use a computer or good old fashioned VHS player.

DVR's media is not transportabe and therefore a different subject................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users