Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC Adapter not recognized

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deafracer

deafracer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

I have a Dell Insperion 1501 that has been running great. Suddenly the AC adapter is not recognized and will not charge the battery.

No changes had been done to it except to update the system from Windows Updates. I have done some research and everything points to this being a BIOS issue. My only problem is that the BIOS will not update. I am logged in as the system administrator and it denies the update.

Any pointers or options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

Why is it denied?

#3 deafracer

deafracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

A Phoenix Winphlash window opens up stating "Cannot load driver C:\Users\Desktop\PHLASNT.SYS, Pease check your accounts, if you have no administrator privilage, please login again.
Access is denied.
Error code: 5

I am logged in as the system administrator.

After this is done then I get several files on the desktop.

WinPhlash, MFC42.DLL, MSVCP60.DLL, and PHLASHLC.DLL. There is also a PHLASH Help but that has not been any help.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

try running the application as an admin by right clicking on it and selecting run as...

#5 deafracer

deafracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

That got it going. Now it wont Flash.

Message received is-

BIOS Update failed! Failed to flash BIOS image:
BIOS is not flashable
Error Code: -144

Irritating but still fun to work on and learn new things.

#6 deafracer

deafracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

Update:

Took the computer to Best Buy and asked them to plug a new cord into it and verify that the issue was not in the comp. It is the ac adapter that is the problem.

In my research for this issue there were 3 possible problems that I could understand. One is the adapter just went bad, there is supposedly a chip inside the adapter that can be replaced and that is for those who are more skilled at those type of repairs. The second is that there is a chip inside the laptop that can be replaced. The final issue is, what I was trying to resolve, a BIOS error and would need to be flashed.

Thanks for the help to get me to a point that made me aware that it was not what I thought it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users