Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem w Sunbelt Personal Firewal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cajam124

cajam124

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hello,
Problem:
Sunbelt Personal Firewall ver. 4 (SPF) loads with a blue shield symbol in the status bar. Intermittently-- seemingly randomly, SPFs icon just disappears. When I run services.msc and select SPF, it shows that the service is "stopped". I have to click START; then I reboot the computer. This is a new behavior of SPF for past two months.

I also use Webroot Spy Sweeper, NOD antivirus, a hardware router/firewall. I also run SB Search & Destroy frequently.
I'm using Win XP SP2; AMD Athlon processor, 2G RAM.

I did'nt notice anything out of the ordinary using Hijack This 1.99, but I'm certainly not well versed in using Hijack This.

Note: often, when I leave my desk and PC to get on with other things, I'll notice the SPF service "stopped" when I return to use the computer later. (During this time I have other family members who use the PC)

Sunbelt Software co. was unable to provide an answer to this problem.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, cajam124

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

Malware is known to shutdown firewalls. Anything in the NOD logs? Posting HijackThis might be a good idea. But there might be another reason.

If this AMD is 64-bit architecture, Sunbelt firewall is not designed for 64-bit. They talk about a version in the future.

XP-SP2 is obsolete.
What version of NOD do you run. It is unlikely you need Webroot or S&D at the same time.

#3 cajam124

cajam124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

Tos226,

I'm using AMD 1.9 GHz (32-bit) processor, NOD antivirus ver. 2.70

I'll be glad to post a HijackThis log if you think I should.

BTW, I've read about a lot of problems with XP SP3, which is why I never upgraded.

Thank you kindly, for your reply.

Edited by cajam124, 02 April 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#4 cajam124

cajam124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

BTW I don't use the Tea Timer feature of Spybot S&D. Regarding posting my HijackThis log, do I just copy and paste it into this forum message?
Thanks, Cajam124

#5 alphaa10

alphaa10

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:29 AM

Cajam124,

I have run Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4 (v.1861) for years because I could find nothing else which matched its featureset and ease of use.

For the past 10 months, your own 2010 problem with intermittent service interruptions has afflicted my own installation, and I was surprised to find many others experienced the same problem.

Did you find a resolution?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:47 AM

Topic moved to more appropriate forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

I can't believe I'm reading stuff posted in a 2010 thread. I thought old threads usually get locked, but what do I know.

@ alphaa10,
What WindowsXP version?
What other antimalware stuff you use?
Is your computer totally clean from any junk that might be affecting/killing a simple firewall?
What kind of internet connection do you have?
Explain your "Intermittent service interruptions"? and perhaps provide some link to "many others experienced the same problem". Such general statements don't allow for any guessing of answers.

Just my observations:
- Your version 4.6.1861 issued in 2008 is totally obsolete. Between 2008 and when Microsoft stopped issuing updates there have been numerous XP system changes, which may have affected your installation in some way. It never caused me any problems.
- Version 4.7.4 issued, I think, in 2010 became free.
- Subsequent version 4.7.5(titled beta) is the last Sunbelt version, and I think it came out in 2011, not exactly new.
It has been flawless for me all these years on XP-SP3. I only wish a clean, simple, firewall such as this existed on Windows7 and 10 64-bit.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

As a general rule Bleeping Computer does not close (lock) topics in this forum. An exception to that rule is malware related topics...we close topics when a member has been asked to (and does) start a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum and posts the required logs. Another exception is when we refer members to post their questions or comments in an existing discussion topic such as those for various ransomware infections.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users