Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screens on reinstallation of XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 baltovet

baltovet

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

I just finished repairing a desktop computer that I built in 2003. Replaced the memory and power supply, both of which were faulty. It is based upon an Intel 865PE (socket 478) motherboard (MSI 865 PE Neo 2 FIS2R). The computer is working, but it has had it's ups and downs as far as installing Vista a couple of years ago and then going back to XP Pro. It's slowed down a lot, and I felt it was time to do a clean installation of the operating system. My original Windows XP Pro disc is from prior to service pack 2, and I am currently running service pack 3. When I try to do the installation by booting from the XP Pro disc, it gets to a point where it says Windows is starting, then I get a blue screen. This happened 5 times in a row, and I have subsequently removed more and more peripherals each time, but still I'm getting blue screens. All that is attached now is the mouse and keyboard. Initially I got the following error codes:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x7242414E, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF734F4BE)

USBPORT.SYS - Address F734F4BE base at F7344000, DadeStamp 3d6ddc31

After I got down to just the keyboard and mouse, the error message read:

STOP: (0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I rebooted into Windows normally after removing the CD and it booted up fine.

I may have to stick with a slow computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=download...amp;prod_no=543

Have you installed the appropriate drivers?

The errors you posted...are normally driver issues. If you just did a clean install, it's unlikely that they are damaged drivers...but could be the wrong ones or missing.

Louis

#3 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I was unable to do the clean install. That's when I get the blue screen...............when I boot from the original XP disc. It gets to where it looks for another version of XP, the gives a blue screen each time.

As mentioned above, there are no blue screens when I run XP Pro service pack 3. It's just that my original XP disc pre-dates service pack 2, but is the only way I could do a clean install.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

You can take your XP SP2 disk and update it to include SP3. This is known as slipstreaming.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

If you use nLite, you will need to install some version of MS.NET before using nLite...the nLite site will provide the link and opportunity to do so, if you don't have it done beforehand.

The result will be an updated XP CD that can easily be used for repairs and reinstalls.

Louis

#5 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

The only SP2 disk I have is the one Microsoft sent me to use to update my existing installation. As I mentioned, I purchased XP Pro from the same vendor that I purchased the parts to build the computer. I don't think the SP2 disk is bootable like the original XP disk I used when I initially intalled the operating system on a blank hard drive. Can I still use the SP2 disk I have?

Thanks,

Larry

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

Well...you need a full installation copy of XP to slipstream...not just a CD containing the SP.

<<It's just that my original XP disc pre-dates service pack 2, but is the only way I could do a clean install.>>

I guess that I don't understand what you are saying. If you have any XP install CD, then you can do a clean install. If you don't have a full install CD, which may include any or all SPs...then you cannot do a clean install of XP unless you have a system that employs recovery/restore CDs issued by the manufacturer of the system (e.g., HP, eMachines, etc.).

Both SP2 and SP3 are available as downloads from MS and can be added to any valid Genuine XP install CD via slipstreaming.

Louis

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Is your BIOS updated?

I got this same BSOD on my computer and the fix was flashing the BIOS to the latest.

I was installing Windows XP Pro SP1 on a system that didnt have the latest BIOS. It BSOD on reboot after the SP1 install.

#8 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

What I'm saying is that the full installation CD I have is for XP professional and it pre-dates service pack 2. I think it's the original XP prior to releasing any service pack updates. The computer works fine with service pack 3, but I want to start fresh by doing a clean reinstall with the CD I have. Unfortunately, it's the one that is giving me a blue screen as soon as the reinstall is started.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

If you are doing a clean install...and have BSODs right away...that can only lead to looking at hardware problems, IMO.

Louis

#10 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

But......it's the exact same hardware that works perfectly fine with SP3 and no blue screens. And......the same hardware that was there when I originally installed XP from the same disk in 2003. Doesn't make much sense.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

<<The computer works fine with service pack 3,...>>

I guess that I don't understand how you can still have an XP SP3 install on a drive that was wiped clean. I don't understand your reference to hardware working fine with XP SP3 as if it works fine today with such install.

Did you delete the prior install...the existing partition...before trying to do a clean install? If not, then you are not attempting a clean install.

As for hardware problems...they occur every day for lots of computer users. Some are driver-related, some are failure-related. What worked 10 minutes ago may fail at any time or have driver problems at any time.

Louis

#12 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

The computer is up and running fine with XP Pro service pack 3. My problem with it is that it's much too slow, and I want to basically do a re-installation of the operating system. The hardware is the same as when I built the computer in 2003 with the exception of additional memory. The hard drive was removed and used externally with another computer because the one I'm discussing had been inoperable for several months. Turns out it needed a new power supply and one of the sticks of memory had gone bad. I put the original hard drive back in, but the computer seems much slower. The only disk I can do the reinstall with is the one I originally used in 2003..........which is prior to even service pack 2. But, as soon as I try to start the process, I get to where it asks if I want to install or repair...............then a blue scree every time. Nothing ends up getting wiped out or replaced. Never gets that far. The drive was never wiped clean, but I would like to and start completely over. I think I explained all of this in the original post.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

Wipe the drive...then attempt the install.

Louis

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

your mainboard had some versions that used a promise raid controller and Intel raid controllers. Both satas.

To install xp you need to not only have the controller bios settings correct, but usually you have to load a sata driver disk at the f-6 prompt. It will load from a cd or a flash disk too.

478 mainboards from this period often had bizarre and incomprehensible settings as well as particular floating order as to which sata port would boot depending on the sata config settings in bios.

Asus p4p800 was similar and a bios fix was required to use both the raid controller and boot from an ide drive.

Link to loosly related discussion on msi forum:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=44...;prev_next=prev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users