Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netzero locks up xp computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pogopossum

Pogopossum

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hello all. I have a two part question. My Windows XP pro computer has locked up three times over the last couple of months. When it happens, it always occurs when I log on the the Internet using Netzero Platinum. The point that the lockup occurs is after Netzero connects, but before it's opened up Internet Explorer (which it does automatically when you connect to the Internet). I then cannot get the computer to open up anything, or bring up task manager, etc. and I have to do a hard reset to restart the computer. Then there are usually further troubles, until I restart the computer again. Anyone have a similar problem?
My 2nd question is what happened the last time I had the above problem. When I restarted my computer the 2nd time (which I had to do because everything was working at a snails pace) XP gave me a message that I had to reactivate XP due to a hardware change, even though I hadn't changed anything for over a month, and that was only to add a network card. I did notice that my network card is now nonfunctional (windows searched for the driver for it, but didn't find it). You suppose the problem is with the network card? However the first two times I had the lockup, there was nothing to indicate that the network card was an issue. By the way, I haven't ever used the network card, I just installed it to (eventually) hook my laptop up to my main computer.

-Pogopossum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

Since you aren't using the network card, remove it and see what happens.

Using your device manager, are there any red or yellow warnings when you look at the modem?

#3 Pogopossum

Pogopossum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

I think that the network card is a blue herring. I did read that there are problems with the new version of Zone Alarm, and also someone mentioned a problem with Netzero locking up. And I forgot that one new thing on my computer is...the new version of EZ Armor, which I think uses Zone Alarm for it's firewall. Also I noticed that XP's firewall was also running (could have sworn that I turned it off) so maybe an interaction between the two? I got rid of the EZ Armor firewall, so now only time will tell if that was the problem, since it only happened once in a while.

Edited by Pogopossum, 19 September 2005 - 08:29 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:09 PM

The double firewall or Zone Alarm itself would not cause freezing, although they could indeed cause problems including connectivity problems.

The running slow is something consuming resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users