Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD core unlocking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sufe70

sufe70

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

I unlocked my 545 callisto a few days ago. Huge improvement and seems very stable.Boosting my WEI CPU score from 6.5 to 7.3 However I did make one discovery, and wondering if others have experienced this as well? Seems minor but could be why AMD binned quad chips into duals. I noticed that after I unlocked the cores AMD Overdrive would detect the core temps at -256c.
Exit Overdrive and Enter motherboard MSI overclock and shows core temps at a stable 29c idle.
To be safe I have all cores set to alarm at 50c thru MSI.

So anyone else getting a -256c temp reading in Overdrive after unlocking cores?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

The history behind that is when the first phenom quad cores came out, they had a stepping problem between the third and fourth core, which led to a lot of returns and CPUs they couldn't sell. So, in order to make some money off them, they simply disabled the third and fourth cores (thereby fixing the stepping problem) and rel released them as dual cores. With the phenom IIs, I suspect they either realized that a lot of people would still buy a dual core because they didnt need a quad nor had the money for a quad-and its probably cheaper to simply disable cores then have a assembly line for just dual core CPUs. Either that, or theres the possibility that theyre the same as the phenom Is in that their just reselling quads with bad cores, though I doubt it with the phenom IIs. Unlocking cores however, can have adverse affects on your computer, like the faulty temperature readings your reporting, and voids your AMD warranty.

Edited by the_patriot09, 01 April 2010 - 11:10 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 sufe70

sufe70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

the_patriot09 Whats your point DAD? I ask a question and get a lecture. OCing is bad to right? It nulls warranty right? Has adverse effects right? (So people say).But people do it right out of the box.
I ran a 12hr stress and stability test on system with unlocked cores and no OCing.Zero errors.
I also highly doubt the temp reading is hardware related.It's a Overdrive software issue I think.If it was hardware? My MSI overclock would have the same readings.
Last thought.If unlocking these cores is so adverse? then why is there not any posts stating failure due to this from consumers? Everywhere and I mean everywhere people are ranting about this feature as the best thing since sliced bread.(Of course when set up correct in bios and power mngt)
Motherboard makers are embracing this and snubbing there nose at AMD over preasure to change bios.Experts have tested this all over.Either it works and is stable or does not work and is unstable.
Hence either you get a company dissabled good x4 turned into a x3 or x2 for supply reasons.Or you get a bad x4 turned into a x3 or x2.Just a luck of the draw.But I find it interesting that a Phenom IIx2 545 Callisto has increased $20 in price since I purchased mine in Nov.
So again my question, Has anyone who has unlocked a AMD experienced these Overdrive temp readings? I know others have,as there is posts on other forums.But little insight into why. Again I think it's software myself.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

wasn't a lecture nor was it meant to be, you asked a question, I answered it, if you took it as a lecture I apologize. the bottom line is-its your money and your hardware, if you want to void your warranty and accept the risks that go with it-thats your choice-I was just answering your question the the best of my abilities.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 sufe70

sufe70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

the_patriot09 No thats the problem you didn't answer it now did you? You ranted about why AMD did this with there multi core CPU's then went into adverse effects. Have you unlocked a Phenom? Have you experienced the -256c temp?
The question was, Has anyone who has unlocked cores experienced these temp issues in OD? Judging by your lack of "I have and yes I did or No I did not experience this"Leads me to believe you are talking with lack of experience on the matter.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

so, the answer is either its A: the software monitoring temp is getting a bad reading. This can come from the software used not recognizing the temp monitor in the hardware, and/or being incompatible with it, or the unlocked cores messing with the temp reader on the motherboard. If the software in question read the correct temps before you unlocked the cores, then the unlocked cores definetly have something to do with it-whether its giving bad signals or just signals the software doesn't recognize. If it did so before you unlocked the cores, then its most likely the software not being fully compatible with your hardware (at least with the temperature readings) I would try other monitoring tools to check it, but in the end if the CPU is running stable, and cool theres really nothing you need to worry about, and probably little you can do about it unless you know how to write code. That enough of an answer for you?

picard5.jpg

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

I thought that they just disabled the 3rd core and made it into 3 core processor?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

they did on some, others they disabled 2 cores.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users