Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Being asked where i want to open all my applications

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

I turning my laptop on todays to find it had Antivirus XP on it. I tried to run MalwareBytes but it was blocked so i did a scan with SAS. After the reboot it seemed to be gone as the pop-up was no longer on screen. However, i can now not open an application without being asked how in what program i would like to open it (things like Firefox, IE, even malwarebytes) i managed to get a Malwarebytes scan going i dont know if it will work. I am running XP SP3 in case you need to know. What else should i be doing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hello,
Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.

First you MUST BACK UP the registry. This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start » Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File » Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File » Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNT which is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Otaku1031

Otaku1031

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

I have the same thing happening on my Vista machine. Very annoying. Is there a similar tool/fix for Vista?

BTW, I got hit with the Vista Antivirus malware a few days ago (second time) and noticed that the .exe file name was changed from av.exe to ave.exe. That's how it got in under my radar. I used Hitman Pro 3.5 to remove it - I couldn't run MalwareBytes.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Can you run MBAM now?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Otaku1031

Otaku1031

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Yes, but I had to run it as Administrator otherwise it asked which program I wanted to use to open it. After running MBAM I still have the same issue. Should I post the MBAM log, and where would be the best place to do that?
I've looked around the web for a Vista utility like the EXE File Association Fix (linked in post #2), but haven't found anything yet. I assume that the XP version will not be compatible with Vista.
All help is definitely appreciated.

Later: I did find some sites with supposed Vista file association fix applets, but I'm not sure who to trust for this fix. None of the sites described the problem that chris6690 and I are having - being asked which app to use to start a .exe file.

Edited by Otaku1031, 03 April 2010 - 04:37 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

Try this FixExe.reg
....click Run when the box opens

Then Run..RKill....

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
If the computer is rebooted or a reboot occurs along the way you will need to run the application again as the malware programs will start again.

I am still looking for a good Vista version.

Edited by boopme, 03 April 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#7 Otaku1031

Otaku1031

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Thanks, boopme, I'll give this a try. BTW, the darned ave.exe file showed up on that Vista machine again over the weekend. I think my kids are picking it up from the WoW server. HitMan Pro took it off, but the problem in the first post from chris6690 is still there. I'll let you know how things work out - again, many thanks!

Edited by Otaku1031, 05 April 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I think we should post a DDS log and find where this bugger is hiding.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 and not here,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users