Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AGP Video card installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cycle

cycle

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 running Windows XP SP3. I'm trying to install a HIS Radeon HD 4350 ATI video card. My problem is whenever I plug the video card into the AGP socket and boot the computer I get no video not from the HDMI port, or the SVGA port or the onboard video. If I take the video card back out the onboard video works again.

Things I've done:
In BIOS I can only change the video section Onboard to Auto. I can't disable it, so I have it on Auto.
The BIOS is upgraded to the latest version of being A09.
I tried to install the drivers when using the onboard video portion and then installing the card after installation still didn't work.
I tried the video card in another identical GX260 computer with the same results.
I have another identical AGP video card that does the same in the computers.

I don't think its a bad card cause I've tried two identical video cards. It does the same thing.
I don't think its the computer because I've tried in another identical computer.

I don't have a different model computer to try the card out in.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

First thing with AGP cards, make sure they are fully seated. It has bitten me more than once sad to say. Because of the dual layer of contacts, it has to be fully, really fully, seated to work.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 awazir

awazir

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

I am experiencing the same issue..... when AGP card is installed, no video shows up.... not even when its going through the BIOS on startup. Remove the card and onboard video works fine. I have a HIS HD 4350 AGP which i am trying to install in a Dell GX620.... please help...
:thumbsup:

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

I agree with dpunisher.
The AGP videords must be fully seated. Sometimes they look right but they arent.
You may have to bend the bracket to seat them fully.

Adding any video card should automatically disable the onboard video.

Are these system emitting any beep codes with the AGP card installed?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 awazir

awazir

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

I totally agree... it SHOULD disable the onboard video.... which it does. because when the AGP card is in, no video comes out.... not from the onboard or the AGP...

i believe it is seated correctly....I even took the bracket out so it has no resistance going in. No beep codes....

#6 awazir

awazir

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

I just noticed... if I leave it plugged in (with no video, of course) for over a minute, I do receive ONE BEEP.... dont know what this means...

also: The Dell Optiplex GX260 (small form factor) has a 160 watt power supply.... could this be causing the issue? I believe the card manufacturer (HIS) recommends 200w.
I am starting to lose hope..... :0

#7 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

Your power supply is approximately half of what is requested by the card manufacturer, Newegg suggests 300w. I would suspect this is your issue and would stop attempting to use the card with inadequate support.

Personally I would never use an HD Quality video card in a system with a low power supply such as yours.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

As posted above I would suspect your PSU to be the problem it is way to small. BE sure to get the correct size PSU for your system I believe its a Micro ATX there inexpensive on Newegg.com
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 yamnaka

yamnaka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

hello

I'm the same problem too !!!

with my Dell optiplex GX260 and his AGP 

I'm tried with 5 video cards ! and no video 

Now i'm going to upgrade the BIOS

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi

AGP slot actually came in 4 versions over the course of it's life. Each of them uses different voltages to operate so not all AGP cards are compatible with every single AGP slot.

Out of the different versions, 3.3 volt (ver 1)  and 1.5 v (ver 2) are the common ones. You should use a AGP card which is suitable to your slot. For more info about AGP, read  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

Read the section "Compatibility" carefully.

Some cards incorrectly have dual notches, and some motherboards incorrectly have fully open slots, allowing a card to be plugged into a slot that does not support the correct signaling voltage, which may damage card or motherboard. Some incorrectly designed older 3.3 V cards have the 1.5 V key.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 May 2013 - 11:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users