Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Management

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doodoog

doodoog

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

I'm running Windows XP Home. I know how to get to my POWER OPTIONS PROPERTIES WINDOW. I know how to adjust my Monitor settings to shut my monitor down, however how do I get my computer to Sleep? What is the difference between SYSTEM STANDBY and SYSTEM HIBERNATES options? Which function should I use if I want my computer to basically shut down if I'm not using it after a certain peroid time? Also under Power Schemes options I have it set for "always on". Where should be set? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

To get your computer to sleep go to the advanced tab on the power options. There you can set different reactions for your actions like sleep when I push the power button. My understanding of standby is that during stand by the computer essentially shuts down with the exception of the memory. This way the data for the current system state are still stored there allowing quicker restart while the battery, if it is a laptop, lasts or the power is plugged in. Hibernation is similar except the data from the memory is stored in a temporary file on the hard drive and the computer shuts down completely. When it restarts it reloads the data from the drive to the memory and restarts much the same as sleep mode from there. Problems with both of these modes is that changes to things such as the last good configuration, registry or profile are not completely saved which can cause certain issues if these are used all of the time. As far as the settings for your power scheme the right one is the one that makes the computer do what you want it to do. Other than that it doesn't matter. For myself unless it is a laptop I have it set to always on and turn all of the items underneath to never so I don't have to wait for anything.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Make sure your computer has some extra RAM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

If it's desktop, forget power saving features.
No need to use them and they often cause issues.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users