Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINS98 HANGS on start up.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cyclops

cyclops

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

Hi all. Ive a problem with WINS 98 and MICROSOFT have an answer but Im not quite sure what to do.
When I boot up in the morning, it loads up OK then HANGS or FREEZES whatever you call it. Ctl Alt and Del, brings up a CLOSE PROGRAMME with EXPLORER highlighted.
Ctl Alt and delete, it reboots and everything OK, no problem, its fine.
Now on the MICROSOFT HELP PAGE there is a solution - to change the values on two files - HKEY_USERS/. DEFAULT/SOFTWARE/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/APPLETS/SYSTRAY/SERVICES
and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/ APPLETS/SYSTRAY/SERVICES.

In both values the hexadecimal date value should be changed from 8 to 7.
Now my problem being an old fogey and never having messed about with the Registry, what and how do I do this task.

A fews tips would be helpful in plain language please as Im over 70 years old and a bit of a pc illiterate. Thanks CYCLOPS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

Hello cyclops and welcome to BC.

First of all, thanks for explaining your problem so clearly. Thats not the norm around here. Also, I'm impressed that you found the fix, as this is a new one on me, and I have been using 98 for a number of years.

In order to edit the registry you first need to go to Start and then Run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes) and click ok. This opens the registry editor. To find the value you are looking for (in your first example):

HKEY_USERS/. DEFAULT/SOFTWARE/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/APPLETS/SYSTRAY/SERVICES

You would click the + beside HKEY_USERS, then find DEFAULT and click the + beside that, and then find SOFTWARE and click the + beside that and so on expanding the tree until you get to SERVICES.

When you get there you would right click the current value in the right hand pane in order to bring up the box to change that value.

Having said that, I don't see that key on my 98 machine, but then again I don't have multiple users.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

Leurgy, hi. I think I'm gonna like this site. Ive only been into pc's for 12 months and learning very very slowly about them. I built this pc myself out of second hand parts except for the motherboard, with a decent AMD chip and WINS 98 which I loaded myself from reading books. Its taken me all this time to get it running in some sort of order.
I am however thinking of upgrading to XP HOME in the very near future, dont know wheather this is a good thing or not, as Im happy with this system even though its an old version 1998.
Im so glad to be here. CYCLOPS. :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

Glad you like it here cyclops, and glad you found us. We have members here with all different experience levels so you'll no doubt feel comfortable hanging around. Plus we like to have a little fun now and then too.

If you are thinking about upgrading to XP and are unsure if your current configuration will support it, let us know what your computer specs are and we can advise you. 98 is a very stable operating system though, and still useful.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

Leurgy, hi again. Im going to have a look into my Registry tomorrow but before I do, one simple question please.
So long as I dont alter anything, to close the program do I simply shut down my pc or what. A simple question from a simple idiot. and if I do alter something? whats the procedure then. :thumbsup: CYCLOPS.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

Hi cyclops

You can open regedit and look around and as long as you don't change anything, nothing will happen. If you do make a change, it won't take effect untill you reboot the computer, in most cases. To close regedit just click the X in the top right corner or go to Registry at the top left (in the file menu) and click Exit.

to close the program do I simply shut down my pc

I hope you are doing a proper shutdown normally by going to Start and clicking Shutdown or Restart after closing all your programs. You should never simply turn off the PC unless it won't respond in any other manner. Not doing so can cause some bad software problems.

#7 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:33 PM

Leurgy, Gotcha you, thanks very much. Just what I hoped to hear, thats how I usually do it, close down the right way. Im gonna like this site a lot. :thumbsup: :flowers: CYCLOPS.

#8 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

Leugry. Its that man again, you know the stupid one who doesnt know anything about Registry.
I followed your instructions to the letter BUT only got as far as SOFTWARE. After that I couldnt find the next KEY "WINDOWS" It just isnt there, although I think it should be. HELP Please. CYCLOPS

HKEY_USERS/DEFAULT/SOFTWARE/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/APPLETSSYSTRAY/SERVICES

:thumbsup:

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:29 AM

Oh come on cyclops, your not stupid. You just have less computing experience but your learning quickly it would seem. :thumbsup:

Can you provide a link to the MS page where you found this fix?

One of your startup programs may be causing you to hang. Go to Start then Run and type in msconfig. Look under the Startup tab. You can compare what you have there with the BC Startup Database found at the top of most pages. Try turning them off and then adding them one at a time to find the program that is causing this problem.

#10 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Leugry, hi again. The MS article reads WINDOWS HANGS UP WITH SYSTRAY.EXE LOADING. previously published under Q259744 but now Article 259744 it gives symptoms and resolutions.
Im going to do misconfig right now. CYCLOPS. :thumbsup:

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:41 AM

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/ APPLETS/SYSTRAY/SERVICES.

That key is right. Drill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/ APPLETS/SYSTRAY and Services is in the right hand pane. The value on my 98SE machine is 0x0000000f (15), but you can only change the f.

HKEY_USERS/. DEFAULT/SOFTWARE/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/APPLETS/SYSTRAY/SERVICES

Same as the first one.

The way I found that was to open Regedit and go to Edit then Find and I pasted in SYSTRAY. Click Find. When the search stops, as long as SYSTRAY remains highlighted then just press F3 to continue searching.

#12 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:05 PM

leugry, hi. Im learning all the time, thanks to you. Did as you say and it worked BUT the value on my 98 is 2 and not 8. So should I change it or not from 2 to 7 or what? Im sure you've got the answer. :thumbsup: :flowers: CYCLOPS Dont get fed up with me just yet.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

You can try changing it. If it causes problems just change it back.

Make a boot disk for 98 and if your changes stop you from booting normally, boot with the disk and at A:> type in:

scanreg /restore

Then you can pick the backup registry made before the changes to let you boot normally again.

Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe)

Don't worry, we don't get fed up. :thumbsup:

#14 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:35 AM

Leurgy, hi AGAIN. I'm finding my way around, thanks to you, BUT having reached SERVICES and found the value 0X00000002 (2).
Which value value is the hexadecimal date value? as mentioned in the MICRSOFT article? is it the 2 or the (2).
I wouldnt think it would make all that much difference myself, but I would like to be sure first, without having to reboot and restore. I already have a boot up floppy disc. :thumbsup: Im now gonna take a look at that WIN REGISTRY CHECKER TOOL, (SCANREG.EXE).

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:24 AM

The value on my 98SE machine is 0x0000000f (15), but you can only change the f.

In yourcase you will only be able to change one value. Whatever one that is the one to change, but its most likely the 2, not the (2).

Have you done the Windows Updates up to the most current?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users