Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with XP Security Patch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:15 AM

I just installed an XP update KB980182 which is supposed to fix some security issues with Internet Explorer.

Ever since, I've been having trouble with my internet. I don't use IE 7 unless I'm installing updates for Microsoft products or if a site requires it. I use Firefox. A few odd things that happened so far is as follows:

I opened some email in Yahoo (using Firefox) and there was no message, only the heading and blank space. I tried another email and the same situation. I restarted my computer and could read the messages. Then it started up again in another email account.

I got an error message about getting signed out of Yahoo chat because sign in was from another computer. Something like that. I don't ever chat, and I don't even have Messenger installed on this computer.

When I went to read a Microsoft page (using IE) about this very update, the browser froze up.

What's going on? What do I do? As soon as I post this, I will do a complete scan with my AV, and Malwarebytes, too.

Please advise next step.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 31 March 2010 - 07:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhoenixM

PhoenixM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

I installed KB980182 yesterday; my typical browser is IE8.

After the mandatory post-installation reboot, I experienced a BSOD within 10 minutes of using IE8. I booted again, and began using IE8 again, only to have another BSOD happen in under 5 minutes - at which point I immediately uninstalled KB980182 and added it to the "do not install" list that Automatic Updates allows.

Since I uninstalled KB980182, I have had no problems with IE8.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

How did you download this update?

Via Windows Update...or directly from the Microsoft website?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms10-018.mspx, if you downloaded from here...it's possible you downloaded the wrong applicable package.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/updates/...201003_oob.aspx

Louis

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I got an update notice, that I had updates to install. I have it set so I look at them first. It came directly from Microsoft.

AntiVirus and Malwarebytes found nothing unusual.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hmmm, I just installed that update (IE 8) on this system, no problems discernible.

You might take a look at Event Viewer and see what errors might have been recorded which may bear on your issue. I would confine myself only to errors noted yesterday.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I might also try running the sfc /scannow command, to ensure that there are no missing/damaged system files which might contribute.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users