Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer's original founders

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LizzieUK

LizzieUK

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

Hello everyone.

When I'm browsing through the forums of Bleeping Computer I come across the same members time and again.
The names like Jgweed, Hamluis, Tg1911 and of course Grinler are everywhere on the site.

As Grinler is the highest ranking member, I get the impression he is the actual founder or at least one of the founders to start it all off.
Seen as Grinler has a membership number of 3, it got me wondering about a couple of things.

Who were members 1 and 2 and why are they not around anymore?

and

Which members have the most respect from the community regarding the help they give (apart from the obvious - Grinler)?

I know my second question has no real answer, I'm just curious to people's opinions. That's how my mind works - sorry :thumbsup:

Thank you

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

I've often wondered why Grinler is number three instead of number one. He is indeed the original founder of Bleeping Computer.

I like to think that perhaps 1 & 2 are honorifics held by Alan Turing and Ada Lovelace, without whom there would be no computers to bleep.

As for your second question, the best answer I could come up with is quoted from the Bleeping Computer list of Member Groups and its description of the BC Advisors group:

Bleeping Computer Advisors are regular forum contributors who have been nominated by their peers or other members of the staff as a result of their consistently high quality and expert responses to people's questions in the forums; Advisors can be trusted to give correct and understandable answers to our member's questions. Advisors also assist the Moderators with overseeing that the forum is running properly, and smoothly.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Andrew, 31 March 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:38 AM

From memory it was something to do with Grinler's Family in the early days, Andrew.

Maybe Grinler can clear it up again?

It is a fair question, I think? It relates to letting your elders take Credit, as many Families did back then.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:47 AM

Grinler was banned twice (under assumed names) for spamming before he finally stopped and was allowed to rejoin the forum he created.

Edited by jgweed, 31 March 2010 - 07:10 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

OMG, the Holy Bible according to BC. :thumbsup:

I love that one John.

Hebews said it was as they saw it.

Hebrew Bible was the first written Bible, as "The Holy Scriptures"

Crazy enough, Christians ignore it.

I actualy admire some of the passages in it. There is some Humour if you look.

They had a sense of Humour that Christians totally missed.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 31 March 2010 - 08:42 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

I thought they were test accounts?
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Like the weird 'uncle' that inhabits every family or the crazy cat lady next door. We don't talk about members #1 and #2. Suffice it to say they contributed to BC's origins and have moved on. :flowers: Grinler is the founder and in our hearts we know he's really #1. :thumbsup:

Thank You Grinler for creating one of the preeminent help sites on the web.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

Like the weird 'uncle' that inhabits every family or the crazy cat lady next door. We don't talk about members #1 and #2. Suffice it to say they contributed to BC's origins and have moved on. :flowers: Grinler is the founder and in our hearts we know he's really #1. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Amen!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 darbako1

darbako1

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

There is a thread on here somwere were Grinler admits to deleting them by accident.. who can find it first..good hunting.

#11 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Arrr Animal,

You sound so sweet.

You're not an animal, you're just a little fluffy pussy cat :flowers:

I love Andrew's reply though :thumbsup:

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin' Panda

• Members
  • 9,562 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:16 AM

Nice challenge darbako1 ;)

One finds interesting things searching certain keywords, doesn't one? :trumpet: But I have not found the post you refer to, yet.

I would like to say thanks too Grinler :flowers:

Yes Lizzie I agree with Andrew. The advisors have given so much to Bleeping Computer. And pussycats are animals :thumbsup: But fluffy for sure :inlove:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

Maybe this one:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/7846/membership-stats/

Edited by Budapest, 01 April 2010 - 01:27 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:25 AM

Budapest, thank you for posting the link that clears up that question.

Jgweed, I love your answer, thank you for the laugh.

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:15 AM

I did say it was Family orentated?

Ray.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users