Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP partition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drigo

drigo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

A friend of mine bought a refurbished computer for a friend. The computer had no OS but did come with a Windows COA. He used his Windows XP disc to install the OS. During the installation, he partitioned the 40GB hard drive at the appropriate prompt into a 10GB sector (I may not use the correct terms here). Everything installed fine. However, what he thought he was doing was partitioning the drive into a 10GB C:\ drive and a 30GB D:\ drive so that XP would be installed on the C:\ and D:\ would be available for programs and files. However, once the installation was complete, only the 10GB partition shows up under My Computer. What did he do wrong? How can this be corrected? He don't mind starting over as there is nothing else on the drive yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:23 AM

Start over doing a clean install of windows. When prompted delete all of the partitions that were created previously. Now create ONLY the partition that windows will use and continue the install. Create the remaining partition using disk management once windows is up and running.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

I would suggest first looking in Disk Management to see what it reports of the remainder of the drive. If only a 10GB C: partition was created during the installation, the remainder will be unallocated space, and from Disk Management you can create and format a partition. If there is an unformatted partition already, you should be able to choose to format it to whatever file system you wish.

Edited by Platypus, 31 March 2010 - 07:18 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

That may work but keep in mind for the future even if it does that windows does not like it when you create anything but the system partition during the install. By creating it afterwards is the safest and recommended way of creating additional partitions.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

I would buy a new copy of Windows and destroy the COA on the side, since you did not receive the installation medium that came with the computer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

<<What did he do wrong?>>

Nothing.

<<During the installation, he partitioned the 40GB hard drive at the appropriate prompt into a 10GB sector...>>

And he has a 10GB system partition.

<<..only the 10GB partition shows up under My Computer. What did he do wrong?>>

Nothing wrong...he just did not do...what he might have thought he was doing.

<<How can this be corrected?>>

What Platypus already said...use Disk Management to see if there is another partition of 30GB. If not, just create one within Disk Management.

Louis

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

I would suggest first looking in Disk Management to see what it reports of the remainder of the drive. If only a 10GB C: partition was created during the installation, the remainder will be unallocated space, and from Disk Management you can create and format a partition. If there is an unformatted partition already, you should be able to choose to format it to whatever file system you wish.

Agreed, my guess would be the partition exists but hasn't been initialized and is unformatted.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users