Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OEMAct keeping a re-install questionable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WhiskeyTango73

WhiskeyTango73

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

Trying to fix employer's computer. (yeah, my boss') Acer Aspire X1200 x64 Vista Home Premium OEMAct SP1... the issues are that it won't load browsers, but is connected to internet, displays that windows disk defrag, task manager, various others AREN"T installed, and to install them w/ Add/Remove Programs. Will not update Mbam, though when ran w/the old malware list from a flash drive, still caught windows update and WMP "backdoors"... I have vista repair disks from my main system before migrating to 7, but the OEMAct thing is a bit un-nerving. Should it be? the repair, etc disks were made on an HP, and this is a POS Acer. Also, when left clicking ANYTHING, displays "run" options. All restore points are gone, ran Rkill, Mbam, Kas rescue, and it just seems like the registry is whacked or something - the reason I suspect that is the "Task Mgr not installed" messages. Any directional advice before I put XP or Lucid Lynx on it? When updates are attempted, most fail, but from what I understand, updates on an OEMAct OS have to come from the Manufacturer. Just lost . thought I'd consult this wonderful place before I attempt something stupid and then have to teach my boss how to run the synaptic package manager, etc.... :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Is there an IT Department at your work that can take care of this?

#3 WhiskeyTango73

WhiskeyTango73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, ME. Finally found restore point for 3.27.10 by utilizing [Search Everything] - could not be found by using windows utilities. Knee deep in Ccleaner, Mbam, Defraggler, auslogic Reg Defrag, etc now that it's "working" again. Going to use Drive Image xml after I get a good system config. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users