Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed hard drive into another computer, now it wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rkprd

rkprd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

my computer has been having a lot of problems lately and I was thinking its hard disk or memory card related so I took the hard disk from another computer and installed it onto mine as the primary drive to see if it would crash but I got a bsod as soon as the windows screen starts to load. so I took it off and put it back into the computer it came from and now it wont start either it gets a bsod just like it did on mine. I tried booting in safe mode and it crashes when crcdisk driver starts to load, I searched that error on google and it said it happens when an automatic update doesnt download completely but thats not the problem im having since it was working fine before. I then ran hard drive diagnostics and got a 0f00137b ide device failed error which I am thinking means hard drive. after that I ran ultimatebootcd on it and went into the C:\ directory and the WINDOWS and other directories are still there so I think its still fixable.. the million dollar question is how ?? any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by rkprd, 30 March 2010 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

If the malfunctioning computer did not damage the drive, there is a possibility of fixing the problem, but you'd need the installation disk for your operating system.

What you would want to do is use that disk to boot to and choose the repair option after the drivers are done loading from the disk, this works on windows XP through Windows 7.

However Windows 7 has different options.

Once you choose repair, allow it to bring you to the command prompt and type the following. (pressing ENTER after each command below is typed)

FIXBOOT

and

FIXMBR

Giving you a bit by bit description of how to get to those options is tough for me, since you never posted what operating system you have, or if your operating system installation is on a repair disk or commercial copy of Windows, so the way of going about this depends on what type of media your Windows installation software is on.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

First of all:

I took the hard disk from another computer and installed it onto mine as the primary drive to see if it would crash but I got a bsod as soon as the windows screen starts to load

The above will never work, because Windows installation is tied up to hardware on a computer, where Windows was initially installed.

Secondly, if:
- "it crashes when crcdisk driver starts to load"
- "I then ran hard drive diagnostics and got a 0f00137b ide device failed error"

Most likely, the drive is a goner.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

I wanted to add if your still confused as to what I posted above please let me know.

But I will need to know from you what version of Windows do you have on the drive.

I also need to know if your copy of Windows installation software is on a commercially sold copy of windows, it is on a system repair disk from your computer manufacturer? Or is it hidden on another partition on your harddrive?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rkprd

rkprd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:24 AM

turns out it a ram card that was causing the error I must have damaged it somehow, thankfully it was that and not the hard drive. and thanks for the quick replies gotta love this forum, if I would have asked this question on another site it would have taken days for someone to post an answer. bleepingcomputer ftw!

Edited by rkprd, 31 March 2010 - 03:26 AM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

Nice job :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting back :flowers:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users