Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the security tool "SECURITY TOOL" legitimate?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AprilDawnC

AprilDawnC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

The problem started when I bought virus protection from a company that seemed reputable ($49.99) because my computer wouldn't work for 3 days (lots of red and pink warnings about how many viruses had now attacked my computer). I have a hard time knowing when to trust and not trust pop ups (valid "updates" make me nervous all the time), so when the company said buy our protection, I finally did. My computer went back to normal almost immediately, making me suspicious that they were the ones who plagued me. Another red alert was that i started getting lots of spam in my email account daily. I tried phoning the 1-800 number they provided and nobody ever answers. Then I stopped being able to create PDF files that week too. I feel like someone's got control of my computer now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

Sounds like you downloaded a rogue security program which infect machines by using social engineering and scams to trick a user into spending money to buy a an application which claims to remove malware and is often seen with SmitFraud and Vundo infections. SmitFraud is a generic description for a family of rogue applications/trojans such as Win32.Zlob which comes disguised as a fake codec that installs other malware or rogue security products like SpySheriff. Vundo is a Trojan that infects a system with malicious Browser Helper Objects and .dll (Dynamic Link Library) modules attached to system files like Winlogon and Explorer.exe. These infections are responsible for launching unwanted pop ups, advertising for rogue antispyware programs, and downloading more malicious files which hampers system performance. Many variants typically use bogus warning messages and alerts to indicate that your computer is infected with spyware or has critical errors as a scare tactic to goad you into downloading a malicious security application to fix it. The alerta can mimic system messages so they appear as if they are generated by the Windows Operating System. The problem with these types of infections is that they can download other malicious files so the extent of the infection can vary to include backdoor Trojans, Botnets, IRCBots and rootkits which make it more difficult to remove. For more specific information on how these types of rogue programs and infections install themselves, read:Please see How to Remove Security Tool/SecurityTool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users